Training

• Hi Experts,

Can anyone please help me in giving assignments to DBA trainees.They need to know from scratch. What type of assignments have to give them?

TIA

• That's a very open ended question. I don't know what kind of work you need done.

I'd start them off writing TSQL queries so that they begin to understand how databases are put together. You might also put them on some of the one-off backups that come in (assuming you've automated most of your backups, if not, get them started automating backups) same thing with restores.

Other than that, it really depends on how your shop is working and what needs to get done.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks Grant

• as Grant said, it depends what they will be doing so real life case studies are usually a good bet...

James Howard

• Ratheesh.K.Nair (1/23/2009)

Hi Experts,

Can anyone please help me in giving assignments to DBA trainees.They need to know from scratch. What type of assignments have to give them?

TIA

First thing taught in most programming courses is the prerequisite "Hello World". Next thing is how to count from 1 to 100... they never teach any of the correct ways to do that in SQL SERVER classes or course books and the principle behind it is that absolute foundation of writing high performance code.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• check this link

http://www.sql-ex.ru/exercises.php or http://www.sql-ex.ru

• I would agree that every shop has different needs. I'll toss out a few topics to get you started:

Recovery Models

Backups - full, diff, tran log

Restores - regular, point-in-time, with move, replace

DBCC's - since there are so many, determine which ones you need the most

sp_who2

Execution Plans

Indexes

Primary keys - clustered vs. nonclustered

Other constraints - Foreign keys, defaults, unique

Single table ddl, then move to joins

traces

Make them script out EVERYTHING. NO using the GUI. Once they learn and understand how to do things via tsql, then they can use the gui. Note - I came from a place where (for several reasons) we had to script out everything for the production environment. Besides, scripting gave me a much better understanding of how things worked. And while I was stumbling around in Books Online trying to find the right tsql syntax, I would inevitably find some other command that was beneficial.

• That's one of the best suggestions I've seen, so far... "make them script out everything". Can't tune the car if you never pop the hood. 😛

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• I have to agree as well, new to being a DBA, script everything. Many years ago as a Senior Computer Operator we had finger savers that made our jobs easier. Guess what, while training new operators, they had to do things the long way, typing out each command along with the various switches. Once they understood what they were doing and could explain it, then they learned the finger savers. that way, they knew what was going on behind the scenes.

• Hi

Its purely depends on what kind of role they are playing.

Assignemnts can be Upgrading from SQL Server 2005 to SQL Server 2008

or

Upgrading from SQL Server 6.0 to SQL Server 2008

Or

Finding out teh queries which are running for so long..

etc...

Thanks -- Vj

http://dotnetvj.blogspot.com

• Rajesh Jonnalagadda (1/27/2009)

check this link

http://www.sql-ex.ru/exercises.php or http://www.sql-ex.ru[/quote%5D

This is a good website, although I'm still struggling on some!!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply