TOP(10) works but returns wrong results to ReportViewer

• Hi all, I am using VS2010 c# to build a project which is working fine..... until now. I have added a report that I want to take the TOP(10) operators and count how many calls they have raised.

This is my query

SELECT TOP (10) Operator_Name, COUNT(Docket_Id) AS Qty

FROM DocketTB

WHERE (Docket_Status = 'CL')

GROUP BY Operator_Name

ORDER BY Qty DESC

With VS2010 this works giving the right result, and this is SQL also return correct results

FROM SLADB.dbo.DocketTB

GROUP BY Operator_Name

ORDER BY Qty DESC

In report viewer however the result are incorrect when I try Count(Docket_Id) it always list 1.

Full select

SELECT Docket_Id, Docket_Number, Docket_Machine, Docket_Status, Docket_EngineerName, Docket_Category, Docket_SubCategory, Duration, Module, Section, Waittime,

Operator_Name, Monitor_Time, spare8, Docket_EngStart, Docket_EngFinish, Docket_DateRaised, Docket_Date, Con1, Con2, Con4, Con3, Con5, Con7, Con6, Contract,

Con10, Weekend

Do I have to pass all these to the reportviewer Select ? maybe this could cause me the problem, if so how do I pass them with my query.

Thanks

• Are you doing this in the detail section by any chance? If so, the count is one (for each row).

Rick Krueger

Follow @dataogre

• Hmmm that would make sense I guess, how to get count for total ?

Thanks

• I think you are looking for the RowNumber Function in SSRS: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms159225.aspx

Rick Krueger

Follow @dataogre

• hi,

I think you can use two select statements

1) for select top 10 results with count

2) wanted columns list from tables using where cluase above Query.

FROM SLADB.dbo.DocketTB

GROUP BY Operator_Name

ORDER BY Qty DESC

----------------

SELECT Docket_Id, Docket_Number, Docket_Machine, Docket_Status, Docket_EngineerName, Docket_Category, Docket_SubCategory, Duration, Module, Section, Waittime,

Operator_Name, Monitor_Time, spare8, Docket_EngStart, Docket_EngFinish, Docket_DateRaised, Docket_Date, Con1, Con2, Con4, Con3, Con5, Con7, Con6, Contract,

Con10, Weekend from SLADB.dbo.DocketTB where (SELECT TOP (10) Operator_Name

FROM SLADB.dbo.DocketTB

GROUP BY Operator_Name

ORDER BY Qty DESC)

Prasad.N
    Hyderabad-India.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply