Today's Random Word!

• WOTD - alternative

• crookj (8/1/2011)

WOTD - alternative

energy

• bopeavy (8/1/2011)

sesquipedalian

That is a failed word, one of Quintus Horatius Flaccus's more pedestrian attempts at invention.

If "sesquipedalian" were sesquipedalian, it would have fewer syllables. Unless you believe in rubbish like tetrabrachs, paeons, choriambs, antipasts, and epitrites, all of which utterly fail the Occam's razor test.

Tom

• bopeavy (8/1/2011)

SQLRNNR (8/1/2011)

bopeavy (8/1/2011)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I guess sesquipedalian was too long a word.

today is too long a word

It actually means characterized by long words.

That's a strange shift in meaning. "Today" always used to mean "this day that's happening now". 😀

Of course "sesquipedalian" has changed its meaning too. It used to mean characterised by hypermetrical syllables (ie verse where the metrical feet in poetry would have an extra syllable now and again). This was regarded by the classical latin poet who coined the term as a nasty unpoetical sin, but became extremely common for the final foot of a line in early modern French poetry (and persists still in modern times - undetectable in modern Parisian French pronunciation, but loud and clear in southern France; and even in Paris, rhyming a sesquipod with an ordinary pod is regarded as abhorrent practise, despite the distinction being inaudible). Some of us :alien: (not just classicists and poets, but mathematicians like me too) still think its main meaning is hypermetric, although the "long words" meaning is certainly there too.

Tom

• security

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• WOTD - clarity

• Tom.Thomson (8/1/2011)

bopeavy (8/1/2011)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sesquipedalian

That is a failed word, one of Quintus Horatius Flaccus's more pedestrian attempts at invention.

If "sesquipedalian" were sesquipedalian, it would have fewer syllables. Unless you believe in rubbish like tetrabrachs, paeons, choriambs, antipasts, and epitrites, all of which utterly fail the Occam's razor test.

Tom

Tom.Thomson (8/1/2011)

bopeavy (8/1/2011)

SQLRNNR (8/1/2011)

bopeavy (8/1/2011)

I guess sesquipedalian was too long a word.

today is too long a word

It actually means characterized by long words.

That's a strange shift in meaning. "Today" always used to mean "this day that's happening now".

Of course "sesquipedalian" has changed its meaning too. It used to mean characterised by hypermetrical syllables (ie verse where the metrical feet in poetry would have an extra syllable now and again). This was regarded by the classical latin poet who coined the term as a nasty unpoetical sin, but became extremely common for the final foot of a line in early modern French poetry (and persists still in modern times - undetectable in modern Parisian French pronunciation, but loud and clear in southern France; and even in Paris, rhyming a sesquipod with an ordinary pod is regarded as abhorrent practise, despite the distinction being inaudible). Some of us (not just classicists and poets, but mathematicians like me too) still think its main meaning is hypermetric, although the "long words" meaning is certainly there too.

Tom

Tom! I think that your OCD kicked in.

:cool:

"There are no problems! Only solutions that have yet to be discovered!"

• debtceiling (just go with it)

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (8/2/2011)

debtceiling (just go with it)

Morons

• bopeavy (8/2/2011)

Morons

correct

______________________________________________________________________________________________
    Forum posting etiquette.[/url] Get your answers faster.

• calvo (8/2/2011)

bopeavy (8/2/2011)

Morons

correct

moroffs

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (8/2/2011)

calvo (8/2/2011)

bopeavy (8/2/2011)

Morons

correct

moroffs

Noroffs

• bopeavy (8/2/2011)

SQLRNNR (8/2/2011)

calvo (8/2/2011)

bopeavy (8/2/2011)

Morons

correct

moroffs

Noroffs

nandoffs

• Revenant (8/2/2011)

bopeavy (8/2/2011)

SQLRNNR (8/2/2011)

calvo (8/2/2011)

bopeavy (8/2/2011)

Morons

correct

moroffs

Noroffs

nandoffs

Madoff

• Daniel Bowlin (8/3/2011)

Revenant (8/2/2011)

bopeavy (8/2/2011)

SQLRNNR (8/2/2011)

calvo (8/2/2011)

bopeavy (8/2/2011)

Morons

correct

moroffs

Noroffs

nandoffs

Madoff

Bernie

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 4,846 through 4,860 (of 21,190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply