Today's Random Word!

• Summer!

Peter Trast
    Microsoft Certified ...(insert many literal strings here)
    Microsoft Design Architect with Alexander Open Systems

• Peter Trast (6/13/2011)

Summer!

In the Summertime....

• Fish are jumping and the cotton is high.

• Data integrity (as in 'What data integrity?')

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (6/13/2011)

Data integrity (as in 'What data integrity?')

That would perhaps be "data integrity" as in "all the data is integral" (even the strings, floating point numbers, and GUIDs) :w00t:

Or perhaps it's when your data speaks no evil? 😉

edit: for grammar integrity that "speaks" should of course be "speak".

Tom

Data is corrupt. I see it all the time. Like a dirty politician, data likes to grift everyone it meets.

Therefore, I don't believe data can have integrity.

@=)

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Tom.Thomson (6/13/2011)

GilaMonster (6/13/2011)

That would perhaps be "data integrity" as in "all the data is integral" (even the strings, floating point numbers, and GUIDs) :w00t:

Or perhaps it's when your data speaks no evil? 😉

edit: for grammar integrity that "speaks" should of course be "speak".

This data speaks no evil, but it doesn't speak any sense either.

What is it about transport companies and their databases? This is the 3rd one I've worked with, all had data problems so severe I wonder how they can stay in business (since they bill based on what the databases say)

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

Data that has not joined politics?

Joe

What is it about transport companies and their databases? This is the 3rd one I've worked with, all had data problems so severe I wonder how they can stay in business (since they bill based on what the databases say)

My experience doesn't apply to your patch (SA) so maybe the following is irrelevant.

If transport companies means companies that transport parcels/packages and other goods, it's probably impossible for their data do do as much harm as their appalling customer service so data integrity doesn't matter - dud data just means you quarrel with your customers about incorrect billing, failure to record payments correctly, and delivering things to the wrong place as well as about all your other customer-related failures, and with your suppliers about late ayments, incorrect payments, and non-returned returns as well as about all your other supplier-side messes.

If transport companies means companies that transport people - well, all the bus companies and railway companies in the UK went bust; government (national or local, depending on the company) had to take them over (and run them at a loss) to keep the country moving, and when it finally re-privatised them it had to provide massive subsidies; most European airlines that haven't already gone bust are losing money hand over fist now that EU competition law has forced national governments to cut back on airline subsidies; some are doing better, but they only manage to make a profit because there is a big hidden subsidy - aviation fuel (as opposed to gas for automobiles) is untaxed (sales tax or excise on fuel in the EU is generally a good deal more than half of the total price, but nil on aviation fuel). Maybe some of that real (but concealed by direct or indirect subsidies) loss is the result of data that makes no sense.

Tom

• Tom.Thomson (6/13/2011)

If transport companies means companies that transport parcels/packages and other goods, it's probably impossible for their data do do as much harm as their appalling customer service so data integrity doesn't matter - dud data just means you quarrel with your customers about incorrect billing, failure to record payments correctly, and delivering things to the wrong place as well as about all your other customer-related failures, and with your suppliers about late ayments, incorrect payments, and non-returned returns as well as about all your other supplier-side messes.

Sounds about right. Yes, that was the transport I meant.

Several years ago I was involved in a legal battle between a transport company and one of their large customers. The transport company was suing over lack of payment, the client was suing over incorrect billing (now SA != USA so for it to have gone to court meant they were really serious and really upset)

I was brought in by the customer's attorney to go over the databases of both companies and see who was in the right. After several weeks of work (Interesting work mind you) the only thing I could conclude was that there was absolutely no way to tell what should have been billed from either database. The transport company's DB was in such a mess that for around 25% of the deliveries I either couldn't tell where it had been shipped from, where it had been shipped to, when it had been shipped or when it had been delivered (and all 4 were required for the billing calc). In addition some of the shipping and receipt dates were ludicrous ( year value of 10, year value of 3899, 37/24/1568), etc and too many of the dispatch or receipt locations did not match anything they client owned. Finally they could only produce POD documents for about 60% of the deliveries.

The client's database had a 'unique key' for the orders that had rolled over and started repeating after 5 months of operation. I had 14 months of data. I couldn't tell which order the detail records belonged to because there was nothing that correctly uniquely identified the portions of an order.

They settled out of court.

If transport companies means companies that transport people

SA has virtually no working public transport that keeps any form of record (most common is the minibus taxies and they aren't exactly computerised)

Gail Shaw

• crookj (6/13/2011)

Peter Trast (6/13/2011)

Summer!

In the Summertime....

A friend of mine once started whistling this song, and it was stuck in my head for the rest of the week!!! I wanted to hit him!!!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• Crashed (as in lost hard drive this morning)

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (6/13/2011)

Crashed (as in lost hard drive this morning)

Ugh!!!

WOTD: backup!

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• Ray K (6/14/2011)

SQLRNNR (6/13/2011)

Crashed (as in lost hard drive this morning)

Ugh!!!

WOTD: backup!

WOTD - Restore!

Joe

• WOTD: off-site meeting

Viewing 15 posts - 4,516 through 4,530 (of 21,190 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply