To get a DBA Job

• Hi All

I'm a MCTS SQL server 2008,on 10th sept 2010, Having 5 + years working experience in IT as 'Software Support Engineer' my Job involve Software (my company's product) installation training and support of my company's client, now I'm looking my future as a SQL DBA from right now, may I get a job in India(Mumbai) on the basis of previous experience. pls suggest what I should do?

Regards

Ali Tailor

(MCTS MSSS2K8)

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• http://www.brentozar.com/sql/how-to-get-a-junior-dba-job/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Thanks for reply

I think, to change Job track is some difficult.

Regards

Ali Tailor

MCTS MSSS2k8

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• Ali Tailor (9/15/2010)

Thanks for reply

I think, to change Job track is some difficult.

Regards

Ali Tailor

MCTS MSSS2k8

Hi Ali,

Positive thinking is very important.

Update your resume and upload it to http://www.naukri.com

Wish you good luck.

Regards,

Suresh

• Hi

Suresh B. I'm agree with U 'Positive thinking.....' actually I have worked a lot with SQL Server But it is on Practice level, not on Enterprize level, actually I'm Looking 1st to work for free some Hours/Day under a DBA to gain confidence and enterprize experience.

What is Ur opinion pls let me know.

thanks

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• Ali Tailor (9/15/2010)

Hi All

I'm a MCTS SQL server 2008,on 10th sept 2010, Having 5 + years working experience in IT as 'Software Support Engineer' my Job involve Software (my company's product) installation training and support of my company's client, now I'm looking my future as a SQL DBA from right now, may I get a job in India(Mumbai) on the basis of previous experience. pls suggest what I should do?

Regards

Ali Tailor

(MCTS MSSS2K8)

Do you really mean "just" "SQL DBA" (which heavily implies "System DBA") or do you mean something more along the lines of an "Application DBA" which is more of an "expert" SQL Developer on sterioids with some good knowledge of database design and expert on T-SQL along with a grand amount of "System DBA" knowledge?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Hi

Jeff Moden

Actually Its an other topics the DBA line, but right now my question is to get a Job in any DBA line , Coz I'm new and dont know what lines are there, can u explain me, please.

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• you can use any test database to first understand the basic architecture of database and can also familiarise yourself with sql queries.

Then you can proceed further with backup/restore sequence.

Have a look of this book, sql server in 28 days.

You will not complete it in 28 days but it will give me confidence that you can understande sql so easily and early.

----------
    Ashish

• Ali Tailor (9/16/2010)

Hi

Jeff Moden

Actually Its an other topics the DBA line, but right now my question is to get a Job in any DBA line , Coz I'm new and dont know what lines are there, can u explain me, please.

Yes... I'll explain my strange answer. Don't look just for "DBA" jobs... look for "Developer" and "Support" jobs for SQL Server, as well. Some folks know that the classic term "DBA" means someone who "administers the server/DB" and it's actually a job with a fairly narrow scope while still requiring some very extensive knowledge. To "break in" to that line of work, it either needs to almost literally fall in your lap (accidental DBA) or you need to earn some stripes in the field of RDBMS's. You can go the certification route but that can be expensive depending on what you want to do. Be advised that becoming certified doesn't always help, either. "It Depends" on the job.

Other people call anyone who knows anything about SQL Server a "DBA" so don't eliminate "DBA" from your search... just be aware of the difference.

Also be aware that a lot of folks think that a database is just a place to store data and that anyone with "at least 3 years Java/C# experience with a knowledge of SQL" can handle their SQL Servers. That makes finding "SQL Developer" jobs a bit rare. Don't get discouraged... they're out there. They're just tough to find.

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• Hi Jeff

Thank for suggestion/s.

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• Ali Tailor (9/15/2010)

I'm a MCTS SQL server 2008,on 10th sept 2010, Having 5 + years working experience in IT as 'Software Support Engineer' my Job involve Software (my company's product) installation training and support of my company's client

Is there any DBA job in your current company?

If the answer is yes then try to transition to the DBA Team, you can start by asking to assist DBAs in a part-time basis.

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at Amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.
  • PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (9/16/2010)

Ali Tailor (9/15/2010)

I'm a MCTS SQL server 2008,on 10th sept 2010, Having 5 + years working experience in IT as 'Software Support Engineer' my Job involve Software (my company's product) installation training and support of my company's client

If the answer is yes then try to transition to the DBA Team, you can start by asking to assist DBAs in a part-time basis.

I agree... that's an excellent idea. Both Ali and the company would benefit. No lost learning on either part...

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jeff Moden (9/16/2010)

PaulB-TheOneAndOnly (9/16/2010)

Ali Tailor (9/15/2010)

I agree... that's an excellent idea. Both Ali and the company would benefit. No lost learning on either part...

Hi All

But my company doesn’t have any DBA job, means there is no any SQL Database server, The Company is an SME and develops software for SME with MS Access Backbend rarely some of SQL Backbend.

So I'm looking a job to learn & Earn. in Mumbai India.

Ali
    MCTS SQL Server2k8

• Have you thought about volunteering yourself for a charity? It's a great way to gain experience and would look good on a CV. It shows you're willing to go the extra mile.

Rich

Hope this helps,
    Rich

[p]
    [/p]

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply