to find count of rows

• Hello there,

Looking for some break through on the below scenario.

I am inserting rows into a table using below statement.

Select * into newTable from oldTable (nolock)

the oldTable is having approx a million records, and the above cmd is runing for a long time.

is there a way to find out how many records have been inserted into newTable so far.

as we all knew that neither

select count(*) from newTable (nolock)

nor

EXEC sp_spaceused 'newTable'

works in this case.

Thanks

Naresh

• this may not be much help, but I would use an SSIS package to do what you are doing,

are you setting up a staging table (create table) from a source table and then putting data in it,

i have attached a package that may help, try inserting your example to match this one, have attached a couple of examples for you, hope this helps

• Naresh

you could try

declare @rows int

select * into dbo.users_new from dbo.users

select @rows = @@rowcount

Print 'Rows copied = ' + cast(@rows as varchar(10))

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• naresh1253 (3/30/2010)

Select * into newTable from oldTable (nolock)

If the database is currently using the FULL recovery model, the whole operation will be fully logged.

Switch the database into BULK_LOGGED mode before you issue the statement, to take advantage of minimal logging.

It will be much, much faster 🙂

You should take a log backup immediately before switching the recovery model, and again immediately after switching back to FULL.

Use TABLOCK instead of NOLOCK, and use the WITH (TABLOCK) form while you are at it.

• Oh..thats a better approach. Thanks for the advice.

• naresh1253 (3/31/2010)

Oh..thats a better approach. Thanks for the advice.

No worries.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply