Timeout error connecting to newly upgraded 2005 server

• I just did a 2005 "In-Place" upgrade to a 2000 server yesterday, and now we're getting intermittant time-out errors trying to connect via SQL Server Management Studio. Sometimes we connect instantly, then if I try again 10 minutes later, it might time-out. No problems with our other 4 SQL 2005 servers (2 were just upgraded, 2 are native 2005). No timeouts so far when logged on to the server directly, just when logging in from our desks.

It's set to TCP\IP only (removed named pipes), but can't think what else might be the problem. Any ideas ?

EDIT: One little thing I just noticed while comparing to another server: In the console, a "good" server has the little green arrow on the server & SQL Agent icons, while the "problem" server is connected, but there is no green arrow. If I log on the server directly and open SQL, I get the green arrows. Is that trying to tell me something about the connection ??

• The little icon is the SQL Server Agent Manager. It is probably just not looking at the instance on the local machine. I have noticed that during MSSQL 2000 service pack upgrades.

As for the timeouts, did you check your MSSQL logs and Windows Server event logs for info? MSSQL logs should be in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\LOG depending where you have it installed.

• FWIW:

I just tried to ping the server & it timed out, although I could remote desktop into it, so it is up & running. Normally, I have been connecting with SQL authentication, although timeouts have happened with SQL & Windows authentication, and also worked fine with both. I have been using the server name, in SQL Mgmt Studio, but just tried IP address there instead & it also timed out.

• As said earlier, can you check errorlog and post the info here. Since the same situation has happend to me, while checking the errorlog i found there are lot of IO problems found hence sql server is stuck with that.

• Hi,

Have you installed latest service pack to hopefully eliminate any network component issues within SNAC or MDAC? Sounds like a possible Time to Live problem, which would be a network component issue. Have you re-started server once upgrade has completed?

Please have a look at following link, which should help you to pinpoint cause:

http://blogs.msdn.com/sql_protocols/archive/2005/10/22/483684.aspx

Thanks,

Phillip Cox

• Be sure that your IP and servername match. I've seen servers that were DHCP for some reason and switched addresses.

• RESOLUTION: There was a duplicate IP address caused by dhcp after upgrading to Windows Server 2003. It has been removed, so that should resolve it.

Thanks to everyone for all the help & ideas.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply