Throttle a Query in Mid-Execution

• You got me. That was fun! 😀

• Darn shame that this feature came out on April 1st.

We did not get what we wanted in the Resource Governor, so we had to implement our own tools to kill a query once it has run more than x amount of time or has an open transaction for more than y amount of time. This works all 365 days of the year!

I wish SQL Server had a SQL Judge, Jury and Cop rolled-into-one feature which would summarily execute a query once it has used up more than a set of defined resources. Very, very useful and needed for a live application that needs to be UP all the time without DBAs having to get paged.

• anil.nair@gtnexus.com (4/1/2013)

I wish SQL Server had a SQL Judge, Jury and Cop rolled-into-one feature which would summarily execute a user once it has used up more than a set of defined resources

Fixed it for you.

• I was patting myself on the back for not having fallen for any jokes on April Fools day this year...then I read your article a day after it was written :crazy:

• One for the wibni list 🙂

• How does wasting someone else's time, with something that's not even in any way funny get published? And why have SQLServerCentral left this garbage on-line? Would it be funny for me to send you an invoice for my time?

• jgates 94283 (4/2/2013)

How does wasting someone else's time, with something that's not even in any way funny get published? And why have SQLServerCentral left this garbage on-line? Would it be funny for me to send you an invoice for my time?

Msg 9999, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

Out of humour error encountered.

• jgates 94283 (4/2/2013)

How does wasting someone else's time, with something that's not even in any way funny get published? And why have SQLServerCentral left this garbage on-line? Would it be funny for me to send you an invoice for my time?

Apologies if you did not find any humor in this. Lots of people did and it was just in jest

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/3/2013)

jgates 94283 (4/2/2013)

Apologies if you did not find any humor in this. Lots of people did and it was just in jest

Please keep the humour coming Steve - it's the only thing that keeps us sane :w00t:

• Hey,

I almost fell for it - went to my TraceFlags list to check 'how on earth have I missed this one!'

It was a good April Fool's post, get over it:-D

Cheers,

JohnA

MCM: SQL2008

• Man, I read this on the 4th, so wasn't expecting an April fools joke. As I was reading it, I was thinking, Man the number of times this woulda been helpful is incredible!

Then I got down to your admission... 🙁

If only eh 🙂

• For jgates:

[font="Verdana"]"A sense of humor is part of the art of leadership, of getting along with people, of getting things done."[/font] 😉

Dwight D Eisenhower

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]

Viewing 12 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply