The vNext Bleeding Edge

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The vNext Bleeding Edge

• It sounds a very exciting prospect. I only wish that I was working for a company that both would benefit from it and is that forward thinking. This would encourage me to stay just that half an hour more (read an hour and a half 😉).

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• So, it looks like perhaps v.Next just a re-branding of the Community Technology Preview (CTP) program?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Monday, January 30, 2017 10:59 AM

So, it looks like perhaps v.Next just a re-branding of the Community Technology Preview (CTP) program?

Actually v.Next is the designation for the next version of SQL Server. It's been called this a lot (SQL Server 2016 was referred to as vNext in 2014), but this is the first time I've seen it in marketing.

Personally I dislike the moniker it because lots of information will be written about v.Next, which will look funny in a year when v.Next is SQL 15.

• Eric M Russell - Monday, January 30, 2017 10:59 AM

So, it looks like perhaps v.Next just a re-branding of the Community Technology Preview (CTP) program?

Surely not. CTP is open. Is it not? (I am assuming that you are talking about the SQL Server Early Adoption Program (SQL EAP).)

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, January 30, 2017 12:43 PM

Eric M Russell - Monday, January 30, 2017 10:59 AM

Actually v.Next is the designation for the next version of SQL Server. It's been called this a lot (SQL Server 2016 was referred to as vNext in 2014), but this is the first time I've seen it in marketing.

Personally I dislike the moniker it because lots of information will be written about v.Next, which will look funny in a year when v.Next is SQL 15.

You said "SQL 15", but did you mean "SQL 2017" or "SQL 2018" ?

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• SQL Server 2016 is SQL 13 (RTM build  13.0.1601)
    right now,  SQL v.Next is build 14.0.200 (CTP).
    SQL 15 will be SQL v.Next when there's a release next year. I'm guessing it will be SQL 2017, but who knows.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply