The Twentysomethings

• The Twentysomethings

I saw this article on how the next generation of IT workers will be both technically saavy and business-focused. I hope so because it seems to me that many of the younger people I've worked with in business are very focused on the technology, being bleeding-edge and "cool". Too many people focus on choosing a technology for the sake of the technology and not for some specific business value.

One interesting thing in the article talks about companies that have outsourced some of the IT being unable to implement the latest and greatest technology and perhaps being unable to attrack the best and brightest. I suppose that's true, but I'm not sure that the "best and brightest" want to work in corporate IT.

If you're a hot developer, talented in school or some Open Source project, then would you rather go work for Cisco, Microsoft, EA, ID Software, or some corporation who doesn't build software? I know there are always some people who will, but I doubt most will. And if your strategy at SomeWidget Corporation is to try and hire the top Comp Sci graduates, I think you're doomed for failure.

Most companies don't need the best of the best. Instead they need some stability and longevity. Build a comfortable working environment that attracts stable people and hire teams that get along with each other, not a bunch of hot shots. There are lots of talented people out there that want to work and be professional in a stable environment. Find those that will enjoy working with your team and you'll be better off in the long run.

Steve Jones

• Which must be why our application development team in a business environment consists of one twentysomething male graduate, one thirtysomething male and four fortysomething married ladies - the sort who are looking for work-life balance before career!

And we work with ASP.NET and SQL and are gradually moving to 2005 so the skills are current.

• I think it also depends on the company you work for especially the size of the company. I'm employed as a systems developer, what that actually means is DBA/developer, Access guru and not least systems analyst. We are a team of 3 and don't have the luxury of employing someone who's sole job is to understand the business requirements and pass them on to a development team. To be honest i'm glad about that. Most IT employees that i have met have no intention of staying in IT for their whole working life they look, as i do, to move into a business analyst or strategic managment role. Having the exposure to the process of developing new areas of the business is key to my role and my future; i couldn't image taking a job that didn't give me those opportunities. 

• I agree with you Steve.  The team is more important than the degree or the level of best. 

I would have to believe that the most important attribute for any team member is the ability to learn and change and be self-motivated to want to do so. 

If it weren't for this ability, our small team would still be supporting database applications using Paradox for Dos 4.0!

• I think the article is a little off. Tech skills are improving across the board with all job descriptions, but programming ability and business sense are totally lacking in the 20-something group. They just don't have the experience.

• I had some young people just graduating from college working for me.  Their technical skills were excellent but they did not have any business skills.  Sometimes I feel I am under a lot of pressure to keep up with their technical skills, JAVA, .NET, C#, even you are a database developer or DBA, some jobs require you to know .Net and C#.

Sometimes when  management hire people, they concentrate too much on technical side. 

Knowing how to write a program is important, but knowing what the business needs so you can write the program they require is the difficult part.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply