The Tally Table

• Wayne West (8/13/2015)

Luis Cazares (8/13/2015)

We need a T-shirt campaign to help drum up attention for MS Connect requests. Somebody like RedGate can put their logo on the back distribute them at events.

Something like this?

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/Forums/Attachment17638.aspx

Wear that T-shirt in public, and you'll be explaining a hundred times over to friends, family, and total strangers. 🙂

Well, someone has to learn about tally tables 😀

Today, sir, you win the internet! Or at least SSC.

I'd buy that for a dollar! :hehe:

Luis, that looks like a winner. Put me down for one, please.

• It's great that you love them, though I'd like to see you promote specific examples, not just sing the praises.

It's helpful for people that don't understand tally tables to see others in the world actually applying them in specific situations. In fact, more "example" articles would be welcome.

• Luis Cazares (8/13/2015)

Ed Wagner (8/13/2015)

Eric M Russell (8/13/2015)

But where do you get your tally? There are examples out there; Jeff's is popular. However, it would be nice if SQL Server would provide an internal tally table just for the purpose, so we would always have it available in any environment, and it would perhaps have some optimization advantage over a physical table.

Erland Somerskog opened an MS Connect item for this back in 2007, but it hasn't been implemented. https://connect.microsoft.com/SQLServer/feedback/details/258733/add-a-built-in-table-of-numbers

Maybe the people in Microsoft should learn how and why to use a Tally Table as they don't seem to understand the concept. Or maybe they just don't care about it anymore.

It's not viewed as critical or essential. Many businesses have no idea what it is or how it would help so they put resources where it matters to businesses. Don't expect a Tally table to be implemented anytime soon, but be pleasantly surprised if it is.

Part of the reason could be that it is so easy for people to create their own table.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• When I'm involved in interviews I ask if they know about the tally/number table. I'm always surprised how many people have never heard about it. If they have I do follow up with how they would use it.

It is certainly a valuable tool.

• Long overdue praise for the lowly tally table. I declare August 33rd as the official Tally Table Appreciation Day.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Knut Boehnert (8/13/2015)

Knowing how and what to use a tally table for is not a core skill.

Working in sets of data instead of RBAR of data is a core skill.

The use of a tally table just shows that the person writing SQL (in whichever flavor) understands this core skill.

THAT is exactly correct! The Tally/Numbers table and its cousin, the Itzik Ben-Gan style cascading CTE (cCTE) are just one manifestation of the core skill of working in sets.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Eric M Russell (8/13/2015)

Long overdue praise for the lowly tally table. I declare August 33rd as the official Tally Table Appreciation Day.

Ugh! That would mean that I'd have to change the Calendar table I told them we didn't need.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• This is a skill that I do not have in my toolbox. I've heard of it, but haven't really investigated it much. You've got me curious Steve, thanks! I Binged it (hey, it's a decent search engine) and found a link to a blog post titled Tally Tables in T-SQL[/url]. Even that had something I'm not sure what the author is doing. They have the following code which they said will run on a SQL 2000 instance:

SELECT TOP 1000000 N=IDENTITY(INT, 1, 1)

INTO dbo.Numbers

FROM master.dbo.syscolumns a CROSS JOIN master.dbo.syscolumns b;

ALTER TABLE dbo.Numbers ADD CONSTRAINT NBR_pk PRIMARY KEY(N);

SELECT TOP 5 N FROM dbo.Numbers;

What's the purpose of doing a cross join between the master.dbo.syscolumns table, and then not using it? Sorry, inquiring minds want to know.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• I just wish it wasn't called a "Tally" table. I don't tally things, I count them. fwiw I usually call my "tally" table "N" to reflect it's relation ship to the set of natural numbers, usually represented by a double-struck N (now let's not argue if it should contain 0 (CS) or not (mathematics)).

Gerald Britton, Pluralsight courses

• What's the purpose of doing a cross join between the master.dbo.syscolumns table, and then not using it? Sorry, inquiring minds want to know.

to get enough numbers to handle large applications

Gerald Britton, Pluralsight courses

• Rod at work (8/14/2015)

What's the purpose of doing a cross join between the master.dbo.syscolumns table, and then not using it? Sorry, inquiring minds want to know.

Well, the point is that you are actually using it. You're not using the columns, but you're using the rows. You need to generate the rows somehow and using large tables is easier than creating the rows on the fly like this:

SELECT N=IDENTITY(INT, 1, 1)

INTO dbo.Numbers

FROM (SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1) a(n)

CROSS JOIN (SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1) b(n)

CROSS JOIN (SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL

SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1) c(n)

SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1) d(n)

SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1) e(n)

SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1 UNION ALL SELECT 1) f(n);

In the end, you care about the rows, because you generate new values for a single column. How you get the rows is not that big deal.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

How to post data/code on a forum to get the best help: Option 1 / Option 2
  • g.britton (8/14/2015)

Shouldn't use dbo.syscolumns. That system table is one of those deprecated and may be removed from a future version of SQL Server. Should use sys.columns or sys.all_columns instead. Or you could use this in SQL Server 2008 and newer:

with e1(n) as (select 1 from (values (1),(1),(1),(1),(1),(1),(1),(1),(1),(1))dt(n)), -- 10 rows

e2(n) as (select 1 from e1 a cross join e1 b), -- 100 rows

e4(n) as (select 1 from e2 a cross join e2 b), -- 10,000 rows

eTally(n1) as (select row_number() over (order by (select null)) from e4 a cross join e2 b) -- 1,000,000 rows

select n from eTally;

• Lynn Pettis (8/14/2015)

g.britton (8/14/2015)

Shouldn't use dbo.syscolumns. That system table is one of those deprecated and may be removed from a future version of SQL Server. Should use sys.columns or sys.all_columns instead. Or you could use this in SQL Server 2008 and newer:

with e1(n) as (select 1 from (values (1),(1),(1),(1),(1),(1),(1),(1),(1),(1))dt(n)), -- 10 rows

e2(n) as (select 1 from e1 a cross join e1 b), -- 100 rows

e4(n) as (select 1 from e2 a cross join e2 b), -- 10,000 rows

eTally(n1) as (select row_number() over (order by (select null)) from e4 a cross join e2 b) -- 1,000,000 rows

select n from eTally;

dbo.syscolumns is used because the code is intended for a 2000 instance.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:
    Are you seriously taking the advice and code from someone from the internet without testing it? Do you at least understand it? Or can it easily kill your server?

• Oh OK Luis, I get it now. I got hung up on trying to read what's in syscolumn. That's not the point at all, is it. The original poster is just using that table as a way of casing an iteration to occur. Ah, now I understand. Thanks! (You know, I would not have thought of that. Thanks!!)

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

• g.britton (8/14/2015)

I just wish it wasn't called a "Tally" table. I don't tally things, I count them. fwiw I usually call my "tally" table "N" to reflect it's relation ship to the set of natural numbers, usually represented by a double-struck N (now let's not argue if it should contain 0 (CS) or not (mathematics)).

It's funny, because tally is a synonym of count.

Luis C.
    General Disclaimer:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 87 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply