The Redmond Agenda

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Redmond Agenda

• "New releases of products will likely come in the cloud first, and in a version you can buy second."

Steve, that has already happened. You may recall our discussions about 2012 release date. I maintained that it was was already released because Azure was running it; it just was not yet GA.

• Everything I read or hear says Microsoft and Cloud. And as to the cloud first and others later, that is probably correct.

But in my opinion they are trying something with initial sales and upgrades in this strategy. In Office 365 they are creating a new marketing model that might be paraphrased as "Test drive in the Cloud before you install locally." But it may be more then that as Microsoft looks at the cloud as a marketing and delivery mechanism. If the cloud marketing strategy for Office 365 is cost effective, look for Microsoft to make its products available in the Cloud in something like "The Azure Marketplace" where you can purchase and download any Microsoft or their partner software with one click.

As a corporation they need to build the bottom line. This approach could revolutionize their software marketing and sales. As a byproduct we might receive some benefit as well.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Revenant (6/27/2012)

"New releases of products will likely come in the cloud first, and in a version you can buy second."

Steve, that has already happened. You may recall our discussions about 2012 release date. I maintained that it was was already released because Azure was running it; it just was not yet GA.

Some things are, but there is a lot in the box that isn't in Azure as of yet. I assume it's moving that way, but encryption and other features haven't made it into Azure.

• Hosting applications, databases, et al, in a Microsoft cloud, generates more customer lock-in than even the traditional MS stack does, so far as I can tell.

I think the "lock them in and then generate a revenue stream from them" model is a better name for the whole thing. It's what Apple does with their iPhones, et al. They count on continuous income from iTunes, etc., even after the sale of the phone is completed. Windows doesn't do that for MS, and I think they're just moving towards that kind of model.

In all honesty, I think that's probably a good thing, long-term, but I'm not certain of that.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Generally, the move is from purchase to subscription. Generally, the idea is that you will log onto a machine that has a common kernel and download your OS and your apps, including your desktop.

That OS might be Windows or Linux or iOS, or all of them, depending on your subscriptions.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/27/2012)

Revenant (6/27/2012)

"New releases of products will likely come in the cloud first, and in a version you can buy second."

Some things are, but there is a lot in the box that isn't in Azure as of yet. I assume it's moving that way, but encryption and other features haven't made it into Azure.

I wouldn't hedge bets that Azure will include all features. I think it is a good to have all features in the box and not necessarily in the Cloud. There has to be some benefit of using one over the other.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• SQLRNNR (6/27/2012)

Steve Jones - SSC Editor (6/27/2012)

Revenant (6/27/2012)

I wouldn't hedge bets that Azure will include all features. I think it is a good to have all features in the box and not necessarily in the Cloud. There has to be some benefit of using one over the other.

You cannot have all features in Azure - for starters, mirroring, because it is done for you behind the scenes. Security is diffenernt because the infrastructure understandably cannot handle Windows logins. Etc etc.

• The wheel turns again.

It seems we are moving back towards pay-as-you-go computing.

I quite like the idea of "try before you buy". For developers the ability to spin up server and/or desktop and use it for training would be invaluable.

SQL Azure is a cloud specific implementation of SQL Server but it is not the same thing as SQL Server installed on a cloud server as per AWS.

• You can install a "true" SQL Server on Azure VM. However, if you do, you need a licence and you have to maintain it yourself.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply