The Professional Student

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Professional Student

• Steve, thanks for your hard work this past year. You da' Man! I read quite a number of your posts over the year. AND, I read your recommended book, "It's Your Ship" and loved it. I've recommended it myself a number of times since. This post reminded me of the book.

• Well done, Steve. I wish everyone would take command of their own ship and learn something new everyday. Being a DBA or SQL Developer isn't your basic 9-5 no-brainer... you have to study and you have to practice.

As a side bar, I absolutely agree. Thank you for all of your hard work over all of the years. SSC absolutely ROCKS!

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Steve a quote frequently attributed to Albert Einstein (although not found using a Google Search), but true nevertheless.

"When you stop learning you start dying"

- and one that I have found to be oh so true.

Like many others ,thanks to you and you associates for starting SSC, and for Redgate's financing its continuance.

If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.

Ron

Please help us, help you -before posting a question please read[/url]
    Before posting a performance problem please read[/url]

• Thanks, everyone, and enjoy the holidays. I am happy to have known you all this year and it's been great meeting a few of you.

• Jeff Moden (12/26/2010)

Well done, Steve. I wish everyone would take command of their own ship and learn something new everyday.

This is one of the things that I tried to instill in my children - learn something new every day. Over dinner, everyone (including the adults) was expected to discuss one thing that they had learned that day. It didn't matter how trivial, but it had to be something. These days, I try to focus my learning towards things SQL Server.

Wayne
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008
    Author - SQL Server T-SQL Recipes

If you can't explain to another person how the code that you're copying from the internet works, then DON'T USE IT on a production system! After all, you will be the one supporting it!
    Links:
    For better assistance in answering your questions
    Performance Problems
    Common date/time routines
    Understanding and Using APPLY Part 1 & Part 2

• Thanks for the nice list of resources. It is always good to have more and more sources of good learning material.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Steve,

I would take one little minor exception to the term "professional student". When I was in college, that term was used to deride those who went to school seemingly forever to avoid the "real world".

I agree that professionals need to study often, take classes, read journals and blogs, and, make a conscious attempt to improve their skills.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply