The other side of outsourcing

• Here's an interesting article I found on Bloomberg.com:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601109&sid=aNtGr9ytmeYI&refer=exclusive

Reminds me of the tech boom in the 80's & early 90's.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• That does. I rememeber people doing this, though most of the companies I knew wouldn't hire someone who'd worked at more than one job for less than a year. Too much of a gamble.

• Excellent read, and confirms a lot of what I have heard from my Indian developer friends over the years.

• I find it extremely amusing that U.S. companies are starting to go elsewhere because of rising salaries and labor shortages.  What did they think was going to happen once everyone started outsourcing to the same place?  That expertise was going to remain cheap and easy to find?

And when you consider that an Indian developer can come to the States on a green card and make 3-5 times what they're making in India...  Why should they stay there when they can make a lifetime's salary in 3 or 4 years here and then go home?

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• That's true Brandie, and is one of the reasons why the long term effects of outsourcing and international trade does not worry me.  Short term the effect can be devastating, but it all evens out in the end.

Better to let them in and work here than sending the work abroad though.

Granted, if countries like India gets their act together in educaton and infrastructure we might be in for a few years of salaries going down.  And contrary to that article, infrastructure in India is a huge problem, but it is probably easier overcome than the educational problem.

• Seems to me that they were definitely more worried about the education problem, though.

And people think schools in Florida are bad! @=)

• I wish I could have made 120K after less than 5 years in the field ...

Even after 25+years I am not there yet ...

Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture ???

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• Rudy -

You are only worth what you are willing to ask for - I don't work for less than X, period.  Yes, there is some risk that nobody will be willing to pay me that amount (so far so good).  A large part of salary/compensation negotiations is being willing to justify/explain why you deserve more than so & so - of course you also need to be ready to walk away if negotiations don't work out.  Remember, what you are worth on the market is a combination of how you sell yourself, what the market will bear and who you're talking to - everything is negotiable.  I've got a buddy who makes about $20K less than I do a year even though his skills/experience are very comparable to mine - but he get 8 weeks of vacation per year in a very 9 to 5 M-F shop where I get 2 weeks, which I usually don't get to use, and typically work 50-60 hour weeks - from my perspective the extra $20K is more important...  Go figure.

Joe

• 8 weeks of vacation ? Every one year ?? What is name of this company, please !

• Believe it or not I don't know the current name of his company, they recently got bought by much larger company - so the 8 weeks may be a thing of the past.  In this case, he "traded" $20K of salary for the additional time off, he was making less than market but is at a point in his life where the time made as much/more sense than the money. 

Now my neighbor has got it made, not sure how it works but his company is headquarted in the EU and due to some weird labor law he is required to take every single day of vacation he receives every year or the head office gets fined, heavily... and yes, he too gets either 8 or 9 weeks of vacation each year.  Works like a dog the rest of the time (6 days a week) but routinely takes off all of his kids school vacations (year round schools, they're off for 3 weeks or so 3-4 times a year).  I'd probably go barking mad with that much time on my hands but I'd be willing to give a try...

Joe

• Rudy,

You definitely have to ask to get. I tell everyone that your negotiation with the company is your chance to ask for things. If you want a bigger salary, time off, etc. put the effort into negotiating it. Worst case is you get the job at offer.

Now you many not want those jobs. I worked at a startup and made $110k salary + bonus back in 2000. The job sucked, systems were poorly architected and failing, no one was willing to rewrite, just patch over and over. We ended up with fire drills pretty much every week if not every day. I had a nice office in the penthouse of an office building that faced the mountains in Denver. A good thing since I kept a blanket and pillow in the office and literally slept there 6-7 times a year. I had all night support calls with Microsoft (SQL 6.5) and would get handed off from Dallas to Seattle to North Carolina as the night moved on. I flew to NYC one morning for a meeting and back again that night.

It wasn't worth the money. I quit and got a job for $85 and it was worth every penny of the pay cut.

• Steve, I was being a bit facetious in the post. I actually am very happy with my present package. As a matter of fact is is 'most excellent' ... it is the second best package I have ever had !

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• ah, sorry. I know you like your job from other comments and emails.

I think if you can find a good place to work, try to stick there. Good places are few and far between.

Remember too that what's good for someone else, isn't necessarily good for you. Your best friend might think someplace is the best, but you might hate it if you work there.

A little off track, but I think it was Anders that mentioned outsourcing is a short term trend. Tend to agree with that. It comes around eventually and only a few companies make it work well. For most of us it doesn't mean the end of our jobs.

• Agreed on the outsourcing. It has almost done as much for our collective careers as DBA-less software !

• By the way - I love the Gladiator creed as a DBA signature...reminds me of a few jobs I had...LOL

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply