The New Men of IT

• fpmorrison (3/19/2016)

The article uses the acronym CV without first defining what it stands for.

Suggestion: Instead of using an acronym like CV which hardly anybody has ever heard of, perhaps the better understood term resume could be used.

But nearly all properly qualified engineers and scientists speak Latin, and know that CV stands for Curriculum Vitae. Some don't speak French, so don't know what a "resumé" is. Even those of us who do speak French know that the English word "resume" and the French word "resumé" are two different words which don't mean anything like the same thing as each-other, and wouldn't dream of saying or writing "resume" when they meant "CV" or "resumé".

Tom

• MiguelSQL (3/19/2016)

However... CV had to do more with formal training and resume with experience, IMHO

No, that's wrong. A "resume" is a misspelling of "resumé" which just means "summary" (without any indication of what it's a summary of), while CV is an abbreviation, used almost throughout the world (but apparently not in North America) for the phrase "Curriculum Vitae" which is literally "brief story of life". ie short history of what has been done, so roughly "track record".

Tom

• TomThomson (3/22/2016)

MiguelSQL (3/19/2016)

However... CV had to do more with formal training and resume with experience, IMHO

No, that's wrong. A "resume" is a misspelling of "resumé" which just means "summary" (without any indication of what it's a summary of), while CV is an abbreviation, used almost throughout the world (but apparently not in North America) for the phrase "Curriculum Vitae" which is literally "brief story of life". ie short history of what has been done, so roughly "track record".

In North America - a CV is used to describe the track record of specific academic or licensed careers. Professors, Doctors and attorneys tend to have CV's. The rest of us - resumes. And yes - fully agree that is not in line with the terminology used in many other places.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Well said Matt, in North America, the CV term tends to give a resumé a certain cultural cast, something like a lawyer calling himself Esquire. Technical professionals should avoid it, it is pretentious for us. I don't like the word resumé for the same reason that Tom doesn't. It is foreign and vague.

• TomThomson (3/22/2016)

...But nearly all properly qualified engineers and scientists speak Latin...

Nice to know that I am not properly qualified. 😛

Yes, I did see that Tom said "nearly all".

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• GeorgeCopeland (3/22/2016)

...I don't like the word resumé for the same reason that Tom doesn't. It is foreign and vague.

I am not sure that Tom has any issue with it being foreign. He is far too much an international playboy to take umbrage at anything but its vagueness. :smooooth:

Gaz

• Jeff Moden (3/19/2016)

GeorgeCopeland (3/19/2016)

CV is a common business term and it is used extensively in academia. I prefer qualifications brief .

Heh... I refer to both a "CV" (Curricula Vitae) and a "Resume" as a "Walter Mitty" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty).

@Phil Factor,

Outstanding article but let's not be sexist. The "ladies" that I've interviewed in the last week are just as bad as the male liars, posers, and fakers. People are still failing the "GETDATE" question that I originally intended as an easy "warm up" question and the answers to other simple/basic SQL 101 questions that I get are stranger than anything I could actually make up.

I just had one young lady that claimed 6 years of "intensive work with T-SQL" and "Extensive knowledge of T-SQL stored procedures, views, functions, and triggers" tell me that a table with a "#" sign as the first character was a system table, that Temp Tables were views with no definition, that "FOR" was the necessary keyword to do a loop in T-SQL, and that you would use the "GetMonth" function to get the month number. I can't help but think that her supposed Masters degree in CIS is totally bogus, as well.

I certainly do understand the drive for "work/life balance" in the lives of people but for crying out load, at least learn something about your job people! I'd say that this is getting to be ridiculous but this has been going on for the last 10 years of interviews!

Maybe I should start asking manhole cover questions instead of simple questions about the skills they claim.

You know, another thing that strikes me as worrying about the candidates you're getting. It's not as if you're exactly unknown in the SQL Server world. Anyone with the slightest iota of clue should be researching the place they're interviewing at, and if they do that - if they just google the name of the person interviewing them in your case, they should quickly be able to find at least your "Dealbreaker if you don't know this" questions. Yet, it seems, for well paid jobs, they just can't even be bothered to do that simple thing.

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• andrew gothard (3/23/2016)

Jeff Moden (3/19/2016)

CV is a common business term and it is used extensively in academia. I prefer qualifications brief .

Heh... I refer to both a "CV" (Curricula Vitae) and a "Resume" as a "Walter Mitty" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Mitty).

@Phil Factor,

Outstanding article but let's not be sexist. The "ladies" that I've interviewed in the last week are just as bad as the male liars, posers, and fakers. People are still failing the "GETDATE" question that I originally intended as an easy "warm up" question and the answers to other simple/basic SQL 101 questions that I get are stranger than anything I could actually make up.

I just had one young lady that claimed 6 years of "intensive work with T-SQL" and "Extensive knowledge of T-SQL stored procedures, views, functions, and triggers" tell me that a table with a "#" sign as the first character was a system table, that Temp Tables were views with no definition, that "FOR" was the necessary keyword to do a loop in T-SQL, and that you would use the "GetMonth" function to get the month number. I can't help but think that her supposed Masters degree in CIS is totally bogus, as well.

I certainly do understand the drive for "work/life balance" in the lives of people but for crying out load, at least learn something about your job people! I'd say that this is getting to be ridiculous but this has been going on for the last 10 years of interviews!

Maybe I should start asking manhole cover questions instead of simple questions about the skills they claim.

You know, another thing that strikes me as worrying about the candidates you're getting. It's not as if you're exactly unknown in the SQL Server world. Anyone with the slightest iota of clue should be researching the place they're interviewing at, and if they do that - if they just google the name of the person interviewing them in your case, they should quickly be able to find at least your "Dealbreaker if you don't know this" questions. Yet, it seems, for well paid jobs, they just can't even be bothered to do that simple thing.

That's a good point, Andrew. It doesn't take long to Google your interviewer and find their website (if applicable), LinkedIn, sometimes social media accounts and find a wealth of information about them. But then, I have heard of instances where the interviewee couldn't remember the interviewer's name on arrival...which I think takes a special kind of lazy.

• tindog (3/23/2016)

andrew gothard (3/23/2016)

Jeff Moden (3/19/2016)

@Phil Factor,

That's a good point, Andrew. It doesn't take long to Google your interviewer and find their website (if applicable), LinkedIn, sometimes social media accounts and find a wealth of information about them. But then, I have heard of instances where the interviewee couldn't remember the interviewer's name on arrival...which I think takes a special kind of lazy.

Whatever.

(...is probably the response we would get from them.)

Gaz

• Gary Varga (3/23/2016)

tindog (3/23/2016)

andrew gothard (3/23/2016)

Jeff Moden (3/19/2016)

@Phil Factor,

Whatever.

(...is probably the response we would get from them.)

This sort, you mean;

Interviewer: "Do you have any questions you'd like to ask us?"

Candidate: *blink* "How long will I get for lunch?"

• What day is payday?

• And what's the company position on hangovers?

• Can I leave early on Friday?

• You all jest but I know of one candidate who asked "Do you have a canteen? And is it subsidised?"

Gaz

• tindog (3/23/2016)

Can I leave early on Friday?

We all love POETS day!!!

Gaz

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply