The Most Wanted Upgrade

• Oddly despite being a PC geek, my desktop at home is more than sufficient for my current (and foreseeable future) needs.  I've got a decently beefy home lab racked in the basement (although maxing the RAM in the PowerEdge r900 would be fun) so I'm not in need of anything server-wise either.

So I think my "no budget" upgrade would likely be for a decent 3D printer and the software to utilize it.  I'd also want somewhere outside the house for the printer to live, having gone to a seminar a couple years ago on 3D printing, the person running it mentioned that they:
    1.  Can emit potentially harmful fumes (they are melting plastic, after all)
    2.  Can "run away" and spew plastic everywhere
    3.  Because they're melting plastic, fire is something to be concerned about (he basically said, you don't want to leave it unattended in your basement if it's a long job)

My use case for a 3D printer would be items for use on my model train layout, things like people, structure parts, loads, etc...

• Doctor Who 2 - Saturday, November 25, 2017 6:59 AM

Thanks to Sony/VAIO deciding to kick me to the curb on a 2 year old VAIO laptop (they refused to make the necessary changes so I could upgrade to Windows 10), I have to get a new laptop. (I do Windows 10 development, which means I need a Windows 10 machine.) So, I've gotten an HP Spectre laptop.

Will never own another Sony/VAIO laptop.

wow thanks for the heads up! crazy that such a large company would fall down on a product that badly.

• I need a new home office and furniture, but that will have to wait. As for computer hardware, I can spec it out to meet any budget from pauper to Google. Played around with a couple of online workstation configurations and ended up with a $50,000 estimate. 😛

Realistically I would like a decent SSD for a surplus tower that I might install Windows 10 on. And a KiwiSDR for fun.

https://www.seeedstudio.com/KiwiSDR-Board-p-2725.html

• Michael Lysons - Friday, November 24, 2017 5:06 AM

iMac Pro with everything maxed out*.

Same here. Sooooo much money.

• Doctor Who 2 - Saturday, November 25, 2017 6:59 AM

Thanks to Sony/VAIO deciding to kick me to the curb on a 2 year old VAIO laptop (they refused to make the necessary changes so I could upgrade to Windows 10), I have to get a new laptop. (I do Windows 10 development, which means I need a Windows 10 machine.) So, I've gotten an HP Spectre laptop.

The spectre is nice, right? I have one as well.

• SSMS, MSSQL, VisualStudio, Slack and Chrome can be memory hogs, and I often times must choose 3 out of 5 at any given time, so the most wanted upgrade for me would be going from 8 GB to 16 or 24.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Thursday, November 23, 2017 9:09 PM

Comments posted to this topic are about the item The Most Wanted Upgrade

I'd be happy with a competent laptop built in the last 3 years (mine is much older)

Gerald Britton, Pluralsight courses

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor - Monday, November 27, 2017 11:29 AM

Doctor Who 2 - Saturday, November 25, 2017 6:59 AM

The spectre is nice, right? I have one as well.

Yes, it is nice. Very nice. My purchasing decisions, when it comes to PCs, laptops, etc., for home is something that will last at least 4 years. It's easier on my budget that way. I think the Spectre will give me that kind of service.

Rod

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply