The log or differential backup cannot be restored bcoz no files are ready to rollforwad

• Hi,

I am running the following script to attempt a restore of a Transaction Log backup. Following methods i done to recover the Log.

1. Right click the Database, Select the Task and click the Backup. Backup Up Database dialog editor popup.

2. From the Dialog i select the "Transaction Log" from Backup Type.

3. After the above steps done i run the following scripts and i got the below error.

RESTORE LOG TEST FROM disk='C:\TEST.trn' WITH RECOVERY, STOPAT = 'Oct 24, 2010 02:10 PM';

Error Occured:

--------------

Msg 3117, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are ready to rollforward.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.

Thanks,

Senthil Varadharajan.

• Senthil,

You get this error when you try to restore Transaction Log\ Differential backups without restoring the FULL backup of the database. First you restore the FULL backpup WITH NORECOVERY and then try restoring the Transaction Log backup.

Pradeep Adiga
    Blog: sqldbadiaries.com
    Twitter: @pradeepadiga

• Hi Adiga,

AS per your reply i done the steps and i got the solution from local machine. When i tried in the server i got the following error.

Error:

-----

Msg 4305, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

The log in this backup set begins at LSN 233000000015900001, which is too recent to apply to the database. An earlier log backup that includes LSN 198000000111500001 can be restored.

Msg 3013, Level 16, State 1, Line 1

RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.

Whether its possible the recover the old data by using the Transaction Log or not.

Thanks,

Senthil Varadharajan.

• You're missing a log backup, maybe more than one.

To restore, you need to restore the full backup, then all the log backups taken since that full, in sequence.

p.s. You should never take an ad-hoc log backup on a server that's in full recovery and doing log backups. By doing so you've complicated the recovery path significantly.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply