The GDPR is Coming to the US

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:18 AM

As a fun bit of contrast, which also seems to be correct... i.e.  "Free with advertising"...
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121219/18272921446/stop-saying-if-youre-not-paying-youre-product.shtml

It's always cute to see some shill stand up a straw-man and knock it down... 
    Most suppliers don't treat their products "poorly". Are we to believe that Mercedes or BMW treat their products poorly?
    If you're not paying, you absolutely are the product. More specifically, your attention is the product. 
    Fact is, we live in a day & age where human attention is, in and of itself, an extraordinarily valuable commodity.

• Jason A. Long - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 10:51 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 8:18 AM

As a fun bit of contrast, which also seems to be correct... i.e.  "Free with advertising"...
    https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20121219/18272921446/stop-saying-if-youre-not-paying-youre-product.shtml

It's always cute to see some shill stand up a straw-man and knock it down... 
    Most suppliers don't treat their products "poorly". Are we to believe that Mercedes or BMW treat their products poorly?
    If you're not paying, you absolutely are the product. More specifically, your attention is the product. 
    Fact is, we live in a day & age where human attention is, in and of itself, an extraordinarily valuable commodity.

Love it.  Learned a new and highly appropriate word.  Thanks, Jason.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 11:45 AM

Love it.  Learned a new and highly appropriate word.  Thanks, Jason.

Not a problem. It just seem appropriate to the conversation.
    Another term worth getting familiar with is "Attention Economy"... It's a very interesting concept that goes a long way toward explaining all of the "click bait" headlines and the current state of journalism in general.
    Turns out that providing readers with objective facts doesn't pay the bills quite as well as duping them into hitting the "share" button...

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:44 AM

I've been on the national "do not call/solicit" list for years.  Yeah... that doesn't work, either.

True. Being deaf and proving it doesn't interupt their sales pitch either.  It does cramp their sales closure style rather badly

• David.Poole - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 11:57 AM

True. Being deaf and proving it doesn't interupt their sales pitch either.  It does cramp their sales closure style rather badly

I like to have some fun with them...
    #1... I give them the chance to get off the hook early by politely letting them know that I'm not interested...
    #2... If they attempt to "overcome objections" (yes this is an actual term in the sales industry and sales people are trained to ignore and/or deflect any and all objections), then it's on!
    #3... Make them think they've won you over and that you're glad they didn't accept your initial rejection.
    #4... Let them know you just need to go grab a pen and paper so that you don't miss any of the details.
    #5... Without disconnecting the call, set your phone down and go back to what you were doing before you got the call.
    #6... Every few minutes, jump back on to reassure them that you're still very interested and that the you're still actively trying to track down that elusive pen & paper.
    #7... Make small talk, ask about their personal relationships, hopes, dreams, long term life goals, kids, parents... Basically anything except what they're trying to sell. You'll need that pen and paper for that! ;^)
    #8... Lather, rinse, repeat #6 & #7 for as long as they'll let you.

• Jason A. Long - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 12:20 PM

#1... I give them the chance to get off the hook early by politely letting them know that I'm not interested...
    #2... If they attempt to "overcome objections" (yes this is an actual term in the sales industry and sales people are trained to ignore and/or deflect any and all objections), then it's on!
    #3... Make them think they've won you over and that you're glad they didn't accept your initial rejection.
    #4... Let them know you just need to go grab a pen and paper so that you don't miss any of the details.
    #5... Without disconnecting the call, set your phone down and go back to what you were doing before you got the call.
    #6... Every few minutes, jump back on to reassure them that you're still very interested and that the you're still actively trying to track down that elusive pen & paper.
    #7... Make small talk, ask about their personal relationships, hopes, dreams, long term life goals, kids, parents... Basically anything except what they're trying to sell. You'll need that pen and paper for that! ;^)

Nah... I don't have time for such fun... I go straight for the jugular.  "I've been on the national do-not-call-list for years.  Your company is out of compliance with Federal law.  If ever call me again, I'll report you to the feds and sue you into oblivion. Got it?"

--Jeff Moden

________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Helpful Links:

• David.Poole - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 11:57 AM

Jeff Moden - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 6:44 AM

I've been on the national "do not call/solicit" list for years.  Yeah... that doesn't work, either.

Heh... reminds me of my true feelings about all of this.  "Us old folks aren't hard of hearing... we're tired of listening". 😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

What you've described above is the specification for a really useful chat bot. If you get a sales call, just push a button to activate the bot on your end of the call, and then return to your work. Just for kicks you can put it on the phone speaker so everyone in the office can have a few laughs. If the conversation lasts longer than two minutes, then you've passed the Turing Test.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:27 PM

What you've described above is the specification for a really useful chat bot. If you get a sales call, just push a button to activate the bot on your end of the call, and then return to your work. Just for kicks you can put it on the phone speaker to everyone in the office can have a few laughs.

Hmmmm.... artificial intelligence in the form of an automated response bot meets lack of intelligence.  Sounds like fun! I wonder which would sound more intelligent.  😀

--Jeff Moden

Helpful Links:

• Jason A. Long - Monday, July 9, 2018 11:26 AM

How about, "Nothing is free. If you aren't paying for it, you're not the customer... You're the product being sold"?

Amen.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

• Jeff Moden - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:31 PM

Eric M Russell - Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:27 PM

What you've described above is the specification for a really useful chat bot. If you get a sales call, just push a button to activate the bot on your end of the call, and then return to your work. Just for kicks you can put it on the phone speaker to everyone in the office can have a few laughs.

Hmmmm.... artificial intelligence in the form of an automated response bot meets lack of intelligence.  Sounds like fun! I wonder which would sound more intelligent.  😀

I predict that at some point in our lifetime each individual will have their own AI proxy, a sort of alter ego, for the purpose of performing routine daily tasks and business interactions. That will free our human selves to engage in more domestic, artistic, and self fulfilling pursuits. All the technology that makes society's trains run on time will be tucked away invisible behind the scenes. It will actually be the opposite of today's social media culture where people assume the role of robotic avatars and have no life of their own.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

TBH, objection handling is, as far as a sales weasel is concerned, just an opportunity to cover misconceptions about their product.  Realistically, if it was never done, practically nothing would ever get sold.  The Weasel Mantra is "you get paid for getting a yes or no, not an objection", "No" is the work, "Yes" is the payoff. 
    I simply don't give objections, just "No" or "No, but good luck with your next prospect" <- Trans:  I know the score mate, no point pushing this one.  If they push it after a no (highly unprofessional) then they will get "Look, I'm not here to help you practice your objection handling, that was a no". 
    Upselling on the other hand I despise with an almost rabid passion, it's just plain ******* obnoxious.  I will just tell people doing that to forget the original sale - iof I wanted a $$$$ing coffee with it I'd order it, if I wanted an xWidget as well, I'd have bloody asked for an xWidget..  Another Social Cancer from the likes of McDonalds apparently, although I wouldn't know personally.

I'm a DBA.
    I'm not paid to solve problems. I'm paid to prevent them.

• andrew gothard - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:34 AM

TBH, objection handling is, as far as a sales weasel is concerned, just an opportunity to cover misconceptions about their product.  Realistically, if it was never done, practically nothing would ever get sold.  The Weasel Mantra is "you get paid for getting a yes or no, not an objection", "No" is the work, "Yes" is the payoff. 
    I simply don't give objections, just "No" or "No, but good luck with your next prospect" <- Trans:  I know the score mate, no point pushing this one.  If they push it after a no (highly unprofessional) then they will get "Look, I'm not here to help you practice your objection handling, that was a no". 
    Upselling on the other hand I despise with an almost rabid passion, it's just plain ******* obnoxious.  I will just tell people doing that to forget the original sale - iof I wanted a $$$$ing coffee with it I'd order it, if I wanted an xWidget as well, I'd have bloody asked for an xWidget..  Another Social Cancer from the likes of McDonalds apparently, although I wouldn't know personally.

Well, then the people I say no to must be unprofessional.  They seem to think no is simply another word for objection.  If, after the second or third no, I just hang up.  Of course lately, I just say no when they start their pitch and hang up.

• Lynn Pettis - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 10:50 AM

Well, then the people I say no to must be unprofessional.  They seem to think no is simply another word for objection.  If, after the second or third no, I just hang up.  Of course lately, I just say no when they start their pitch and hang up.

You're more patient than I am then.  Now-a-days when I get a call like this, *if* I even answer it (they never come to me at work, always at home on my personal cell,) I just tell them no thank you and hang up.  Truthfully, now, I just let any unknown number dump to voice mail, if it's important or someone I know (with a new number for some reason,) they'll leave a message and get a call back.

If it's a junk call, either there's no voice mail, or there's a machine talking to my voice mail.

• jasona.work - Wednesday, July 18, 2018 11:32 AM

You're more patient than I am then.  Now-a-days when I get a call like this, *if* I even answer it (they never come to me at work, always at home on my personal cell,) I just tell them no thank you and hang up.  Truthfully, now, I just let any unknown number dump to voice mail, if it's important or someone I know (with a new number for some reason,) they'll leave a message and get a call back.

If it's a junk call, either there's no voice mail, or there's a machine talking to my voice mail.

I get those calls to my personal cell phone while at work.  There, if I don't recognize the number, I ignore it.  Usually ignore it at home as well unless I am expecting a call from someone that I don't know what number they may be using to call.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 53 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply