The Differences Between SQL Server 2000 and 2005

• Great summary. Thanks

• Great article!

waiting for the differences from developer point of view.

thanks,

Jwalant Natvarlal Soneji

• Thanks for the comments and I was surprised I couldn't find a good summary elsewhere.

Some of the missing things mentioned are good ones and I've tended to group them as developer features. rightly or wrongly, it was a decision I made not to have this be a 10 page article.

The developer one is taking a bit longer than expected. It's quite a long list of stuff and I'm trying to get it down to an easy to read, easy to make a decision, article.

I believe licensing is per core, and unfortunately I dont' have any multi-core machines to test exactly how SQL sees it. I'll see if I can get some contacts at MS to get clarification.

• Nice article. Anyone know of any resources on managing SQL 2000 from a SQL 2005 interface? We're still on SQL 2000 for our production database, but we've started some development on 2005. As such, I've installed the 2005 Management Studio, and for the most part can manage and work with the 2000 instance just fine.

I do run into the occasional bumps where I can't do something in 2000 via 2005, usually involving management of some kind. For instance, the latest was that I can't view the object permissions for a table; when I view it in 2005, nothing shows up as having SELECT permissions, etc. I did find an addon or hotfix or something that helped with working with the legacy data things at some point, but it would have been nice if they'd had included some support for the old databases, too.

• Cool article Steve. I had been shooted with this question so many times and it was the same issue with me to answer.

Now I know what to asnwer !!!

Minaz Amin

"More Green More Oxygen !! Plant a tree today"

• Guess the DAC option would have been good to add...

Get busy living ....or get busy dying....

• good article.....

very common questions answer but very important to understand difference between the two version of sql server....

nice keep it up....

• Steve,

Not to mention also there are now standard reports that comes with SQL2005 that allows shows server activities (CPU, memory, etc) on the server. SQL2005 SP2 even lets custom reports to be created to administer the SQL server. Database mirroring only works with SP1 and above. Database snapshot only works on Enterprise Edition.

There's also this nice feature auto update stat async which update stats when the server is idle and this enhances concurrency on the large DB. Some shortcut keys have changed and I'm still learning some new keystrokes on SQL2005.

From my point of view, seems to not differ too much between EM and SSMS, but its engines changes a lot. I.e. SQLOS now distributes work request between schedulers and no more round robin. This'll have a big impact on how the parellelism is perceived between SQL2K and SQL2005. Also, dynamic AWE, dynamic workers thread count based on CPU number and CPU (x86 or 64bit), larger than 8K rows in a table support, etc.

But good job on describing the differences on the overall.

Simon

Simon Liew
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server 2008

• I have a question.

In SQL server 2000 if I run the query " select name from sysusers u where isntgroup = 1 "

in windows authentication and the user is not an administrator,I get all the windows groups in that machine.

But in SQL server 2005 if I run the same query I get names of the groups to which the current user belongs to. If he is an admin then it returns all the local window groups.

What I wanted to know was is it a security improvement which causes this difference of behavior between the two versions.Please let me know.

thanks in advance

shyam

• Shyam, there are a number of security changes to make SQL Server 2005 more secure. This behavior is probably one of them.

• Good start!  I am interested if there are SQL language enhancements, improvements in query analysis tools, and a better tool for DTS.

• Thanks for your reply steve..The article is verymuch useful.

• Steve:

Good article for a DBA newbie like myself - thanks.

Jerry

• as with upgrading from 7.0 to 2000 the worst problem is application performance, the optimizer is rewritten in 2005 and queries cannot be expected to perform the same, our own tests show some queries improve but some degrade 300% or more, thus demand a full test first and upgrade later.

• Its realy good stuff digging up Steve,

can you also say about the hotspots and how they have come over it in sql server 2005 from sqlserver 7.

what can we find more in developer section other than the .Net CLR integrated. stuff??

Just thought of asking this has the sqlserver 2005 got any new inbuilt xml parser or does it still use the same way a SQLXML pack to create the forxml clause and other things.

Or is SQLXml is inbuilt into the 2005. or its a complete re-write of the stuff.

Many thanks for the article it was realy good one.

Regards

Vinay

Regards
    Vinay

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply