The DBA is Dead

• David.Poole (1/29/2014)

I'd make the point that being a DBA is a mindset as much as a set of technical skills.

Is the need for the mindset getting any less? I'd argue the need is increasing.

A lot of the up and coming database systems claim to be self-managing and require 1/2 a DBA per week to look after them. That is unmitigated rubbish. I'm looking at the amount of time that one or two of these have required to get them up and running and to keep them up and running and frankly they have been resource black holes.

Yes they will evolve to a more stable position but I still don't see them being self managing.

+1

The mindset and technical abilities are huge pieces of the DBA makeup. Part of the mindset is the ability to organize and troubleshoot. Maybe people will be moving more and more away from the day to day tasks that can be automated. But troubleshooting is a different beast and sometimes requires a fair amount of skill and decision making ability.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I'm a programmer at heart. I THOUGHT I learned SQL in a few days. I thought I was the master of SQL and that databases were easy to manage. I mean, anyone can do this right?

Then I went and joined the online gaming industry where all online games are nothing but massive databases housing video game data.

How ignorant I felt when I saw what a real DBA has to face on a daily basis. How most of you are not drunk before you come to work in order to easy the pain is beyond me. Being a DBA seems highly valuable no matter how you slice it and to me, going to increase in value in the next 5 years.

• xsevensinzx (2/6/2014)

I'm a programmer at heart. I THOUGHT I learned SQL in a few days. I thought I was the master of SQL and that databases were easy to manage. I mean, anyone can do this right?

Then I went and joined the online gaming industry where all online games are nothing but massive databases housing video game data.

How ignorant I felt when I saw what a real DBA has to face on a daily basis. How most of you are not drunk before you come to work in order to easy the pain is beyond me. Being a DBA seems highly valuable no matter how you slice it and to me, going to increase in value in the next 5 years.

I think I'd want to get drunk every morning (with top-ups for good measure lunchtime and evening) if I DBA'ed for online gaming company. Largely poorly-financed companies owned by other holding companies owned by other conglomerates, most "Managers" under age 30 and over 70% of their remuneration dependant on team performance. Every little request is a "crisis". Staff turnover rates that would make the counter staff at McDonald's look like mummies in the Egyptian Pyramids.

No thanks!!

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 32 (of 32 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply