The Command Line is Back

• [font="Verdana"]GUI is good to use, as if anyone is in favor of 3rd party tools; these tools just a layer of ease on underlying builtin mechanics; same as GUI. [/font]

• chrisn-585491 (11/9/2015)

Dave,

Increased license costs of SQL Server will drive more business away from MS than security concerns. If the industry were concerned about security, we would have abandon C and C++ years ago in favor of Ada and it's ilk.

Agree.

I work for a large multi-national company (and a State Government) and we are seeing the license cost of SQL Server account for more and more of the budget (not to mention Windows, AD, Office, etc.). I keep pushing for Linux/Postgress and people are starting to listen. We are finding that SQL Server is right up there with Oracle in expense.

I worked in a Unix/Linux environment for many years and I love the command line.

Been working with PowerShell off and on for the past 4 years. Would much rather use (K)(BA)(C)SH/perl than PowerShell. Good to see Windows with a decent command line.

Increased license costs of SQL Server will drive more business away from MS than security concerns. If the industry were concerned about security, we would have abandon C and C++ years ago in favor of Ada and it's ilk.

Not if we were anywhere neare sane, we wouldn't. Ada is as big a disaster as C C++. If we were serious about security we would have abandoned procedural languages (especially badly designed and over-complex ones like C++ and Ada) in favour of declarative languages of one flavour or another - things like some of the ML dialects, some of the Prolog variants and their descendandants, and Haskell would be the normal programming languages (or maybe more modern declarative languages - I've been out of touch for a couple of decades, maybe something new has come along). But since the people who determine where the money is spent either don't have a clue about security or don't give a shit about security (or, often, both) we are stuck with nonsensense like C, C++, PL1, Java, Ada, Visual Basic, and so on ad nauseam. This pretty well guarantees that software will be insecure.

But back on topic: command line stuff could be great. Usually it's nice and simple and has very clear semantics. Of course people will invent unbelievably silly command line languages with gaping security holes - because the management doesn't want people to waste time producing a secure product - but that's not a defect inherent in the comand line concept.

Tom

• I live in command line for my Linux machines and Python. I would love it for everything Windows too.

• podmate (11/12/2015)

chrisn-585491 (11/9/2015)

Dave,

I keep pushing for Linux/Postgress and people are starting to listen. We are finding that SQL Server is right up there with Oracle in expense.

I really enjoy PostgreSQL now that I have used it more. It's a good engine.

The command line hasn't gone anywhere, it can't be "back". :ermm:

+1000

When I first got into technology/programming in 1996 I was reading "DOS for Dummys" and remember the author saying, even though Windows 95 was available (the first version of Windows that did not sit on top of DOS) DOS was going to be around for many years to come. I still use the command shell, write .bat/.cmd files, etc 20 years later.

In the past month I have needed to connect to a SQL server in the cloud using different AD credentials than what I was logged in with on my PC - command line to the rescue.

On a similar note - some of the best advice I have ever received was in 1998 when my boss told me how productive I could be without using my mouse. He was soooo right. I almost never use my mouse and get around much faster. To open SSMS for example, I press: Window Key+R, then type SSMS, then hit enter. It takes less than a second.

"I cant stress enough the importance of switching from a sequential files mindset to set-based thinking. After you make the switch, you can spend your time tuning and optimizing your queries instead of maintaining lengthy, poor-performing code."

-- Itzik Ben-Gan 2001

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply