The Challenge of Failure and of Being Unwired

• Rod at work - Tuesday, July 24, 2018 8:42 AM

I agree with you, in principal. But sometimes the option of leaving is not available.

Rod, is someone holding you against your will?  Give us some kind of signal and we'll send in the marines. (this is all meant as a joke)

But we all have an option of leaving at any time, just as they can let us go at any time.  You may not be able to do the same work for the same salary but you have options.  Being afraid to leave and can't leave are not the same thing. I was in the 'afraid' category, until I was forced out.  Now I see that there are plenty of opportunities out there, you just got to look, and take the leap.

And jasona.work, leave it at home.  If they contact you say "someone must have stole my laptop".  Then when you get back just say "my mistake, I just forgot to pack it". 😀

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 - Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:47 PM

Rod, is someone holding you against your will?  Give us some kind of signal and we'll send in the marines. (this is all meant as a joke)

But we all have an option of leaving at any time, just as they can let us go at any time.  You may not be able to do the same work for the same salary but you have options.  Being afraid to leave and can't leave are not the same thing. I was in the 'afraid' category, until I was forced out.  Now I see that there are plenty of opportunities out there, you just got to look, and take the leap.

And jasona.work, leave it at home.  If they contact you say "someone must have stole my laptop".  Then when you get back just say "my mistake, I just forgot to pack it". 😀

Oh god no that would be the most horrible thing I could do!  At least, the "someone must have stolen."  That (where I work) results in investigations, etc, and believe me, they'd get such an investigation rolling while I was still on vacation, including sending an investigator to my hotel.  Closely followed by a reprimand (or more) for filing a false report...
    So, yeah, no, not doing that...
    Leaving it at home, and "aw crap, I forgot to grab my work laptop when I loaded the car?"  Yeah, *THAT* I'll do...
    :hehe:

(Short version:  The government frowns on people "losing" things rather strongly)

• jasona.work - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 8:33 AM

Oh god no that would be the most horrible thing I could do!  At least, the "someone must have stolen."  That (where I work) results in investigations, etc, and believe me, they'd get such an investigation rolling while I was still on vacation, including sending an investigator to my hotel.  Closely followed by a reprimand (or more) for filing a false report...
    So, yeah, no, not doing that...
    Leaving it at home, and "aw crap, I forgot to grab my work laptop when I loaded the car?"  Yeah, *THAT* I'll do...
    :hehe:

(Short version:  The government frowns on people "losing" things rather strongly)

Yeah, that would be a better response, didn't know who you were working for.  Big brother might be watching.  Maybe they would call or text as soon as you left the driveway and say "you forgot your laptop". 😀

-------------------------------------------------------------
    we travel not to escape life but for life not to escape us
    Don't fear failure, fear regret.

• below86 - Wednesday, July 25, 2018 8:49 AM

Yeah, that would be a better response, didn't know who you were working for.  Big brother might be watching.  Maybe they would call or text as soon as you left the driveway and say "you forgot your laptop". 😀

I tend to keep it low key.
    Thankfully they're not *quite* that in my business...
    Really, not a lot different from working in the private sector, at least for me...

• below86 - Tuesday, July 24, 2018 1:47 PM

HA HA HA. No. I'm just saying that certain locations don't have many opportunities, that's all.

Kindest Regards, Rod Connect with me on LinkedIn.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply