The Big Boys

• It's becoming a corporate world, with some companies arguable more powerful than some countries. And definitely richer.

But which are the most powerful? Is it those with the most sales? The most profit? We'll probably never know, but Forbes has compiled a list using a few metrics for the Forbes Global 2000, a list of who contributes to the world economy the most using assets, market value, revenues, etc.

So who's #1? If you've read this far without clicking the link, who would you guess? I'd think oil, at least that was my first thought with the shortages of the last year and the climbing prices. Plus they control amazing amounts of assets with oil fields, refineries, tankers, etc.

Well, there are some oil companies up there. At #s 6, 7, and 8. Lower than I expected, even though their sales are huge. Number 6 is ExxonMobil with $328 billion with a B in sales, and with $200 billion in assets. But that's not as good as #1. Citicorp, the banking conglomerate, is #1, with $120 billion in sales, but $24 billion on profit, which is close to Exxon's $36 billion. However their assets are $1.5 trillion with a T in assets.

What's the #1 tech company? That's probably an easy one for most of you. It's IBM at 23 with $91 billion in sales, but only about $8 billion (only??!?!) in profit and a little over $100 billion in assets. Contrast that with our platform's maker, Microsoft, which is 55 with $41 billion in sales, $13 billion on profit and $67 billion in assets.

It's probably debatable when this means, or even who has a bigger impact on the world. However just keep this in mind next time the Oracle folks want to talk.

They're at #240. Only $12 billion in sales, less than Microsoft's profit! And a paltry $3 billion in profits and $20 billion in assets.

Steve Jones

• Because they are big does not mean they know what they are talking about, it just means they can sell it better, and have the means to buy the good stuff from the real tech pros.

Alex Otten

• Are you insinuating a comparison between SQL Server and Oracle databases from this?  What about dollars from Windows, Xbox, Windows Mobile, etc. where as far as I know Oracle is not competing in the market... ?

• Meteors and cars have the ability to create an impact; companies and people have ability to create an effect.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply