The Best Database

• It's got to be racing, especially F1.  Here's an article for NASCAR:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/forums/shwmessage.aspx?forumid=263&messageid=286116&p=3

Also, here's external data that is collected during the race by AMD servers:

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=107518

I don't see how any other sport could come close to this.

Lance

• Here's what I think.

For pure numbers, I think baseball needs the best database. I've heard that cricket is also similarly numbers-heavy.

For a sport that requires tons of data around the numbers themselves, though, I think the Olympics or the World Cup (soccer) needs a massive database system that can handle not only stats for one sport but coordinated handling of dozens of sports and/or dozens of nations. Plus there is a lot more in the way of audio and video, time differences, languages, etc.

And for non-athletic sports, I think chess needs the best databases, although I think in many ways chess already has them. Other games, such as Go and perhaps poker, also come to mind.

-------------------
    A SQL query walks into a bar and sees two tables. He walks up to them and asks, "Can I join you?"
    Ref.: http://tkyte.blogspot.com/2009/02/sql-joke.html

• I would agree F1 appears to have the top spot in terms of it's own data.

However I believe sports like yachting take more account of the weather.

This is incredibly important when determining strategy.

Once this is factored in you basically have all of the weather data ever collected playing a part. Alongwith all the different supercomputers processing to generate the all important predictions required to influence the strategy.

Although this would clearly never make it into a single db and other sports could also claim to be interested in the weather.

Sailing based racing simply seems to have the best claim to weather as it can use the whole world as a racetrack.

Richard

• I would think its Horse Racing hands down. I had a friend DBA who worked at a company that worked with the breeding aspect of racehorses and their data requirements were huge. They tracked back hundreds of years for each horse's pedigree, including the races won, lost, type of track, year, season, rainy/clear, who they raced against, etc. And then there's the whole aspect of betting of course and all the statistical computational requirements for that.

• I know I am going to offend someone out there, but motorsports are not sports.  Yes, they are dangerous. If you were peddling the car it would be a sport, but pushing down on a pedal and turning a steering wheel is not a sport.  I know all the NASCAR fans out there are going to disagree with me, but they are wrong.

I don't care if inside the car is hot and they loose so much weight during a race.  If that qualifies it as a sport, then sitting in a sauna is a sport.  Um , no.

If you were pushing the car, it would be a sport, driving a car is not a sport.  If it is then I am training for NASCAR everyday when I go to work.

Live to Throw
    Throw to Live
    Will Summers

• Will,

I used to agree with you, but it's a sport. Not an atheletic endeavor, but it's sport. Competition and recreation. Still, not a "sport" for me.

Thanks for the posts and I hadn't thought about the sensor data. Maybe car racing requires the best db?

I'll still take baseball over cricket, and I was thinking big 4, but I don't really watch hockey. Typo'd myself :;

As for drinking beer, I thought that's why darts were around

• It depends on what you are intending to track for a sport.

• Results
    • Telemetry
    • Transactions at the betting shop

I worked (very briefly) at one of the smaller betting companies and their need to store the history of bets over an extended period meant that there was an incredible mass of data.

In terms of betting Horseracing generates the most data.

In terms of telemetry it would probably be some form of mechanised sport.

• Cricket ...Cricket ...Cricket ...Cricket ...Cricket ...Cricket ...Cricket ...Cricket ...Cricket ...Cricket ...

Kindest Regards,

Tahir

• Here's an embarrassing confession.

Knowing that Metadata is data about data I thought that Wayne Rooney's broken metatarsal was the cancellation of his book deal.

• There are a lot of sports in the world, but there are really only 6 or 7 huge sports in the world: football, baseball, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, NASCAR/racing.

That is such an Americam view. I thought you were more rounded than that Steve. Football, Baseball and Hockey - All North American sports. Same with NASCAR, but at least you included racing in general.

As far as stats go, what about horse racing - maybe not too database intensive (unless you include all the bookies calculations) but certainly a lot of figures used to help the average punter.

Regards,

Steve

Life without beer is no life at all

All beer is good, some beers are just better than others

• If America = World, then yes, cricket is out from that list!

• It's got to bwe cricket.

• It always amuses me the american-centric view that American Football, Basketball, Baseball and Hockey are the biggest sports in the world, when few countries outside American actually play them.

Biggest Database - F1 for all the telemetry.

Biggest non motor sport database would be Cricket or Football (it's NOT soccer - we invented it and we can name it! </english&gt. Cricket is rather widely played in India, the most populous nation on earth. I would hazzard a guess that there is more cricket played in India than baseball in America. Cricket isn't only 5-day test matches. There are 3 day matches, one day matches and 20-20 games that last 2 hours. And at the end of all of that lot, you might still not get a winner.

that is all.

Neil, in England watching the World Cup that actually involves teams from all over the world - America are taking part too you know, although their result yesterday was not the best.

• Well, we are American centric here, kind of goes with the territory. Reading a little about cricket, I think that may be the winner for non-motor sports. Some type of car racing probably needs more real time data, probably the non-left-turn-only racing variety.

I still think American football is the best to watch though. Controlled, but tremendous action, finesse, and a winner everytime.

• The biggest problem with American football is that it takes 3 hours to play a 60 minute game. It's just a little bit of overkill really. I mean, from my understanding there are times when the players have to wait while TV finishes the advertising. That's just too much isn't it?

I do agree with the skill shown and that the action is sometimes exciting, but if you want action packed and survival of the fitest you need to be watching something like Rugby, Rugby League or Aussie Rules. All very physical bruising contact sports with their own finesse and skill. Physical conditioning of the athelets is imperative because you don't get the continual stoppages to help the TV stations make money.

Regards,

Steve

Life without beer is no life at all

All beer is good, some beers are just better than others

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 50 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply