The Active DBA

• I can't come up on Saturday, but I can get there early on Sunday. If that fits the agenda, let me know.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• I would SOOO love to see a good Aikido tournament, it's been too long since I practiced it. Unfortunately I won't be up until the day before if all the plans go through: my boss told me to choose a conference and I definitely chose PASS!

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Grant Fritchey (8/12/2008)

I can't come up on Saturday, but I can get there early on Sunday. If that fits the agenda, let me know.

I may go through on the sunday, depending on how the jet lag is. (I get in late Sat afternoon) Otherwise we may drag Kalen away from her prep and go to a normal class on the monday night. As far as I'm concerned, the more the merrier.

I would SOOO love to see a good Aikido tournament, it's been too long since I practiced it.

It's a seminar, not a tournament. The style that Kalen and I both do (aikikai) is a non-competitive form.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • I am fortunate that I have managed to maintain my fitness despite sitting many hours a day before a screen. Double bad is that I work from home so I don't even have the opportunity to run or bike to work (last 6 years or so). I do, though keep a heavy running schedule and have been doing so for the past 30 years. Ran my first marathon in Chicago 30 years ago and went back last fall for the 30th anniversary to run it again.

Running does not have to be a chore, a combination of running and walking on a regular basis can provide immense benefits. I am a strong believer tho that exercise should include a healthy portion of weight bearing activity for bone strength. I also will do some short hikes if I feel like the work is piling up to refresh the mind before jumping into the work again. Even when I worked in the city, I would take a walk around the block at times when I felt too stressed.

As far a missing the water, Denver has several great reservoirs for boating and other water activities. I try to get out occasionally to do some wind surfing (alas tho, not enough).

Bob

http://www.farrunner.com

• Grant Fritchey (8/12/2008)

Steve Jones - Editor (8/12/2008)

Heck, I used to enjoy karate tournaments.

Easy to tell who wins when only one is still standing 😉

That's the old days. Now, most karate tournies, it's a game of tag and you have judges guessing who touched whom first.

I hate tournament sparring. I'll gladly take a kick to the ribs in order to sweep the opponents other leg and rain horror down on his face, but I would lose the "point." When I'm in a bad mood, I'll do it anyway. Take the points. The look of fear in the opponents eyes is the only victory I need.

Now... if you can do that without spilling the Beer you're holding... 😉 The really good ones can do it while taking a sip without getting getting a set of beer-can-top braces! 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Jeff Moden (8/12/2008)

Now... if you can do that without spilling the Beer you're holding... 😉 The really good ones can do it while taking a sip without getting getting a set of beer-can-top braces! 😀

And that's why I never, ever, get into fights. Who wants to take the chance of spilling perfectly good beer?

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant Fritchey (8/13/2008)

Jeff Moden (8/12/2008)

And that's why I never, ever, get into fights. Who wants to take the chance of spilling perfectly good beer?

lol and we have a winner. That's a great quote, especially right next to your sig. 😉

---------------------------------------------------------
    How best to post your question[/url]
    How to post performance problems[/url]
    Tally Table:What it is and how it replaces a loop[/url]

"stewsterl 80804 (10/16/2009)I guess when you stop and try to understand the solution provided you not only learn, but save yourself some headaches when you need to make any slight changes."

Jeff Moden (8/12/2008)

Does that mean there are more fights in the US than the UK (where the beer really is perfectly good)? 😉

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat

• majorbloodnock (8/13/2008)

Grant Fritchey (8/13/2008)

Jeff Moden (8/12/2008)

Does that mean there are more fights in the US than the UK (where the beer really is perfectly good)? 😉

Yeah! And actually, I think that's why you have all those lager-louts. They're not drinking the right beer. I mean, I've never heard mention of an ESB-lout or an IPA-lout...

majorbloodnock (8/13/2008)

Grant Fritchey (8/13/2008)

Jeff Moden (8/12/2008)

Yeah! And actually, I think that's why you have all those lager-louts. They're not drinking the right beer. I mean, I've never heard mention of an ESB-lout or an IPA-lout...

He, he. The human body is a wonderful thing; the most efficient known mechanism for converting beer into lager 😀

Semper in excretia, sumus solum profundum variat

• This thread has definitely now gone where no thread has gone before.:P

• And I have no doubt it will continue this on going mission for years to come!

😎

• I volunteer to continue processing beer to lager as time & money allows. I know it's a sacrifice, but someone has to do it.

I volunteer to continue processing beer to lager as time & money allows. I know it's a sacrifice, but someone has to do it.

Well, you drink my share. I'm not beer drinker.

😎

• Don't worry Lynn, we'll get through your share up in Seattle.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 121 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply