The 2015 Plan

• batgirl (1/5/2015)

I have a grand plan for 2015!

1. Downgrading my "job" - this is my last week of a full time high pressure job (on call 24 x 7) and going back to a previous tech support position where I will work at home, regular hours. Full time to start, but cutting back to 30 hours per week in a few months.

2. Husband is retiring - he'll figure out later exactly how to fill his days. Some volunteer work, fishing, hunting, assisting his elderly parents, etc.

3. Moving across the country - leaving Ohio and going to the coast of Oregon (Coos Bay area). We are already getting packed and will be listing the home for sale before the week is over. We've already consolidated vehicles - traded two cars in for a van.

There will be a lot of weekend road trips around the Pacific Northwest - lots to see and explore. I will be able to work anywhere there is decent internet connectivity, so maybe more than just "weekend" trips. Some family in Portland and they have a beach home up in Washington that we will definitely visit often.

This will be the first major step in tipping the scales towards home life. I have worked full time for 40 years and will continue to work, but it will not be my primary focus any more. I'm pretty excited and happy about this!

I like the sound of this plan. Good luck with it all.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I just read this post today (Jan. 5, 2015), so I'm behind the times. However I think this is one of your best posts of 2014, Steve. I'm still "in transition", but fortunately am still getting interviews (I've got one this afternoon, in fact). However being out of work for 6 months is beginning to take a huge toll out of my family and myself. Very serious things (both physical and to our house and vehicles we own) aren't being addressed, because there's just no money. That has a major influence upon my attitude towards things like what positions or companies to consider. There have been some positions early in my unemployment that I didn't consider because the commute would have resulted in my not being able to be with my family in any meaningful way. Now I'm reconsidering that. Perhaps living in a Motel 6 in an expensive place far away would be better than this prolonged unemployment? I don't know the answer to that question, but something has got to change soon. I hope I don't have to completely abandon my principles and time with my family, but I wonder how much longer we can hold on.

Rod

• batgirl (1/5/2015)

1. Downgrading my "job" - this is my last week of a full time high pressure job (on call 24 x 7) and going back to a previous tech support position where I will work at home, regular hours. Full time to start, but cutting back to 30 hours per week in a few months.

2. Husband is retiring - he'll figure out later exactly how to fill his days. Some volunteer work, fishing, hunting, assisting his elderly parents, etc.

3. Moving across the country - leaving Ohio and going to the coast of Oregon (Coos Bay area). We are already getting packed and will be listing the home for sale before the week is over. We've already consolidated vehicles - traded two cars in for a van.

There will be a lot of weekend road trips around the Pacific Northwest - lots to see and explore. I will be able to work anywhere there is decent internet connectivity, so maybe more than just "weekend" trips. Some family in Portland and they have a beach home up in Washington that we will definitely visit often.

This will be the first major step in tipping the scales towards home life. I have worked full time for 40 years and will continue to work, but it will not be my primary focus any more. I'm pretty excited and happy about this!

I have to agree with Phil - that sounds like a great plan. I'm not to that point in my life yet, but I've certainly thought about how to deal with it when I am. Good luck with the move and enjoy taking the time to enjoy life.

• batgirl (1/5/2015)

Good for you and good luck.

• Doctor Who 2 (1/5/2015)

I just read this post today (Jan. 5, 2015), so I'm behind the times. However I think this is one of your best posts of 2014, Steve. I'm still "in transition", but fortunately am still getting interviews (I've got one this afternoon, in fact). However being out of work for 6 months is beginning to take a huge toll out of my family and myself. Very serious things (both physical and to our house and vehicles we own) aren't being addressed, because there's just no money. That has a major influence upon my attitude towards things like what positions or companies to consider. There have been some positions early in my unemployment that I didn't consider because the commute would have resulted in my not being able to be with my family in any meaningful way. Now I'm reconsidering that. Perhaps living in a Motel 6 in an expensive place far away would be better than this prolonged unemployment? I don't know the answer to that question, but something has got to change soon. I hope I don't have to completely abandon my principles and time with my family, but I wonder how much longer we can hold on.

Good luck, Doctor, and I hope things work out. One thing I'll say as someone that worked away from home for 4 months, is look at hostels or renting a room somewhere. It can work out well in the short term. Note that taking a new job doesn't mean you take it forever. I wouldn't think it's the end of the world to commute for 3-6 months and look for new job. A quick change because of travel issues makes sense. I'd disclose that when I look for new jobs.

Hard to know what's best for you. I'd also look at remote DBA work (there are companies doing this) or consulting with companies nearby. A bit of travel is tough, but I'd prefer to that to being unemployed. That's me, make your own decision (With your family).

Best of luck to you.

• Wow, hard reading the last post article, but thanks for posting it.

As a man named Ferris Bueller once said:

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

😎

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]
  • quackhandle1975 (2/3/2015)

Wow, hard reading the last post article, but thanks for posting it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

😎qh

I was a very well behaved child (or as much as one can be), a bit of a rebellious youth and a mixture of both as an adult. I have done things that if I was dying the next day I might have regretted as unnecessary but as I didn't it allowed me to do things in the longer run. I guess what I mean is that there is a middle ground between the rat race and hedonism.

I have found my place between the two.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• Gary Varga (2/5/2015)

quackhandle1975 (2/3/2015)

Wow, hard reading the last post article, but thanks for posting it.

😎qh

I was a very well behaved child (or as much as one can be), a bit of a rebellious youth and a mixture of both as an adult. I have done things that if I was dying the next day I might have regretted as unnecessary but as I didn't it allowed me to do things in the longer run. I guess what I mean is that there is a middle ground between the rat race and hedonism.

I have found my place between the two.

Indeed.

β€œEverything in moderation, including moderation.”

? Oscar Wilde

qh

[font="Tahoma"]Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. – Carl Jung.[/font]

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply