Test to live environment move

• Hi friends,

I have some doubt,,,,

Issue :- We are presently working on test environment & after two day's they want to move live environment so what shall i do for this one,

Shall i copy the same database to live server & any changes in live server???????

Please help me.........

Thanks in advance...

• If they don't mind the data that is loaded in the test environment moving to prod, I would just backup the database in test and restore it to the production instance. you would have to clean up security. you can check for orphaned users by running the command below against the database:

exec sp_change_users_login 'Report'

If orphaned users are returned, then run:

exec sp_change_users_login 'Update_One','<orphaned_name>','<orphaned_name>'

**Note** I'm a Jr. Level DBA so even though this is what I would do, there may be better suggestions that will be posted by more experienced DBAs

• Hi Rookie,

If i remove the all user account in live server, any issue?

• Couple of questions.

First, can you afford to lose the data currently in Production?

Second, what type of chamges are you trying to promote from Test to Production?

• Hi Lynn,

what ever i used the database in test environment taken the backup & restore in live server...

is this enough? or shall i do any thing because i am doing it for the first time......

• First, make sure you understand the difference between user and login. You will not necessarily want to remove logins. If you are restoring, then you should understand what the implication is, and the user accounts will be gone.

If this is the first time you deploy, this will work, but you will want to have a better process for future deployments. You might examine a series I wrote (http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/525/), or look at SQL Compare from Red Gate to move database object changes

Disclaimer: I work for Red Gate

• I'm having a bit of a problem with your response to my questions. Fact is I don't see an answer to either question. Please answer the questions I asked earlier.

Thank you.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply