Test Plans for Database Mirroring from Client Side

• Hello Everyone,

Just started to test database mirroring with SQL 2005 but I need a few things cleared up.

1) How to connect to principal server so that connection fails over to mirrored server (connection string for Microsoft client).

2) Can this be done via SSMS? Do you have to specify mirrored database name, if so what do you do if the application uses more than one database?

3) Anyone used a test plan to verify fail over and fail back from a client perspective?

Have no problem finding documentation on setup/troubleshooting but nothing on setup/testing from client side.

Thanks in advance for you time and efforts,

Rudy

Rudy

• i am using alter database xx set partner failover to manually failover mirroring and test the behavior on the client side

• i am using alter database xx set partner failover to manually failover mirroring and test the behavior on the client side

• Are you using Network Load Balancing (NLB) and testing from the client's PC?

Sorry for the lame questions as database mirroring is all new to me.

Thanks,

Rudy

Rudy

• We mainly have .net code and are using the native client where you can configure the mirror server native client will then handle the failover on the client side automatically. For everything else we have a script that does check if the database is accessable to determine on which server the principal is running.

• Would you know where I can get more information to setup the SQL native client? For some reason, everything I've read so far does not show how to set this up.

Thanks a million for your time and efforts!

Rudy

Rudy

• you can look it up on technet here:

• Thanks for the link and I'll have a look.

Rudy

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply