Technology for Sharing

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Technology for Sharing

• I believe sharing is a good way to utilize our resources better and hopefully create a positive impact on our environment. Of course it is nice to have a very powerful server but it's a waste of money and resources if the machine is only used to it's full capacity once every quarter! It does need a change in everybody's thinking but it's worthwhile to consider it as a possible option. In my country we have a also a car sharing fleet, it's called Mobility and very popular (http://www.mobility.ch/en/pub/index.cfm).

BTW: I might consider to share my bath tube with my very attractive next door neighbor.... 😀

• VM is wonderful until you hit a resource constraint. Then you find out how much they really know about what they have done. Very different to trouble shoot in some ways. The Farm can be IO bound, but your instance appears to have little load.

Concepts like 'reserved resources' and matching complementary load cycles start to surface. Although reserved resources tends to bring into question are we virtualizing for the right reasons.

• Greg Edwards-268690 (4/25/2012)

VM is wonderful until you hit a resource constraint. Then you find out how much they really know about what they have done. Very different to trouble shoot in some ways. The Farm can be IO bound, but your instance appears to have little load.

Concepts like 'reserved resources' and matching complementary load cycles start to surface. Although reserved resources tends to bring into question are we virtualizing for the right reasons.

Usually it's a cost reason, and that comes with a performance tradeoff at times. That needs to be surfaced to the clients and management, and they have to agree it's worth the tradeoff.

• The canned answer many give to IT questions is "it depends". I have not liked that answer since it is overused but in this case it really does apply. There are things it will work for and things it will not. We need to be open to sharing and cost avoidance if we can, while still protecting that which demands protecting.

Thanks,

M.

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (4/25/2012)

...Usually it's a cost reason...

BINGO

We've basically been told, "Use VMs unless you have to use physical."

My concern is that when 'they' are exposed to the risks they are accepting, there isn't always an appreciation of the implications - especially long term, like when the VM that's working great at <50% capacity has intermittant problems at 90+% capacity.

:hehe: Or, you never know, maybe they do understand completely, but they consider the risk low compared to doing nothing

(i.e. we don't have the $ for what the techies want, so it is better to do something. Maybe {insert risk} will never happen anyway.)

I'm doing my part and that's all I can do :satisfied:

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply