Teambuilding and Bonding

• Here is the company I work for official “List of prohibited team-building activities”:

1. Fire walking

2. Mechanical bulls

3. Piloting or co-piloting an aircraft

4. Smoking water pipes

5. Use of pyrotechnics

Who knew there was such a list?

• davidlcrooks (5/10/2012)

Here is the company I work for official “List of prohibited team-building activities”:

1. Fire walking

2. Mechanical bulls

3. Piloting or co-piloting an aircraft

4. Smoking water pipes

5. Use of pyrotechnics

Who knew there was such a list?

That reminds me of why the annual; (allegedly) 'friendly' rugby match between IT and the business at my current company was canned a few years ago. Too many injuries, and therefore deemed too 'high risk'.

• That reminds me of why the annual; (allegedly) 'friendly' rugby match between IT and the business at my current company was canned a few years ago. Too many injuries, and therefore deemed too 'high risk'.

Ya think? 😀

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (5/11/2012)

That reminds me of why the annual; (allegedly) 'friendly' rugby match between IT and the business at my current company was canned a few years ago. Too many injuries, and therefore deemed too 'high risk'.

Ya think? 😀

Most injuries in games where you have ego on the line are caused by lack of conditioning and practice of the players, not by the opponents.

• Revenant (5/11/2012)

TravisDBA (5/11/2012)

Ya think? 😀

Most injuries in games where you have ego on the line are caused by lack of conditioning and practice of the players, not by the opponents.

Uhhh, ya think a computer nerd playing rugby might have something to do with it?:-D

"Technology is a weird thing. It brings you great gifts with one hand, and it stabs you in the back with the other. ...:-D"

• TravisDBA (5/11/2012)

Revenant (5/11/2012)

TravisDBA (5/11/2012)

Ya think? 😀

Uhhh, ya think a computer nerd playing rugby might have something to do with it?:-D

I have been quite shocked to find that many of the computer nerds I know are also jocks (football, soccer, hockey, rugby). I think it is the business people getting hurt, not the nerds.

• Hmmm most of them that I know that are into sports are really only working out on their PlayStation or X-Boxes.:-D

• It's ironic, I think, that the very tools that are supposed to make us more effecient are actually contrary to team building. Ever have the person in the next cube IM or email you with a fairly complicated question instead of him/her getting up off their can of fat and asking a face-to-face question? If it's too far to walk to be practical, pick up the bloody phone and call. Talking will usually solve a more than simple "Yes/No" problem much more quickly the IM or email ever will.

Of course, there are always those who are more into the CYA aspect of IM and email than anything practical.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• Of course, there are always those who are more into the CYA aspect of IM and email than anything practical.

CYA is very practical. It's very easy for a manager to just say he didn't remember me telling him something and then proceed to throw me under the bus. However, it's very hard for a manager in a meeting to deny that he got the email when I am sitting there with a copy of it in my hands. Where I work you live or die by email:-D

• TravisDBA (5/14/2012)

Of course, there are always those who are more into the CYA aspect of IM and email than anything practical.

CYA is very practical. It's very easy for a manager to just say he didn't remember me telling him something and then proceed to throw me under the bus. However, it's very hard for a manager in a meeting to deny that he got the email when I am sitting there with a copy of it in my hands. Where I work you live or die by email:-D

Same here, and the ones who complain about using email so much are ALWAYS the ones who like to blame others for their failures! I can think of more than one person that are complete failures at what they do, and whenever anything goes wrong it is always the fault of someone else. Plus, email is great for documenting things for a group, that can be discussed later, but need to be reviewed first.

Phone can be a good thing - but due to our workload, people do not answer about 90% of the time. The ones that do answer are usually too busy to talk anyhow.

Dave

• TravisDBA (5/14/2012)

... and whoever has the higher stack of printed e-mails, whether relevant or not, wins.

• It's not just CYA.

My email PSTs are a convenient archive of what was discussed when and with whom.

-- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers --

• I have found documentation to be key in my career for CYA, but mostly for just being aware of what was agreed to. My memory has proven to be as fallible as others, so I request things in writing, just to be sure that I know what I should be doing.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor (5/14/2012)

I have found documentation to be key in my career for CYA, but mostly for just being aware of what was agreed to. My memory has proven to be as fallible as others, so I request things in writing, just to be sure that I know what I should be doing.

Well an e-mail is a record of what the client said, but it does not say what he meant. 😀

• Revenant (5/14/2012)

Well an e-mail is a record of what the client said, but it does not say what he meant. 😀

True, but if I have doubts, I try to nail this down in writing. If I can't, nothing will fix that.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 55 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply