TCP/IP-Time out expired.

• Hi guys,

For my problems over here, I guess I had already minimize the scope where the problem had most likely occurred. From what I had tested yesterday, I found out that once you take away the DNS ( if there's any ) in the client's computer which is suppose to connect to the SQL server, the timeout thingy will not occurred anymore. I don't know about other OS but it works fine with win 98se.

Now what I'm facing here is still some connectivity problems I guess which I'm not very sure of what is the cause for it. As what I said earlier, some machines can query out some complex queries in just 4 seconds but some takes more than 10 seconds to query out the same query in the query analyser. I did switch the computer to test whether it's the network which is giving me problem but there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. I switch places between the computer that is running idealy and the one that is running VERY SLOWLY but the same problem still occured. Damn~ tonight I guess I'll still have to do some testing out for this.

Anyone with any idea on what I should do or what is the cause of this cute problem that I had. 🙂

Thanks for the help anyway.

Simon.

• Simon, I'd try running the code/scripts from one of the machines that your having the problem on. Once without an Alias in the Client Network Utility, and once with an Alias setup for the SQL server you're attaching to. If the Alias will fix it, then you're looking at DNS and/or network issues (which is what you're trying to prove, right?). Also, if the network admin(s) and/or client need to see that it's not your programming, but a networking issue, just have them watch you run them (after you've done it alone first).

Sorry I'm not more help. As I stated before, I still have this slowness problem with my Win98 SE machines off and on. Win2K clears it up (never had a speed problem).

-Patrick

Patrick Purviance

Associated Systems, Inc.

Wichita, KS

http://www.associatedsys.com

Patrick Purviance, MCDBA
  • I guess I have my problem solved with an OS change. LoL...I know it's not a good way to solve the problem but by migrating from win 98SE to win2k and above, the speed problem doesn't seems to arise anymore. But that's I had only reinstall on one machine...so I still need to try it out on the other slow machines.

Patrick, you had been a great help. 🙂 thanks man~ by the way, I'm still quite new to SQL server, hope you don't mind how the alias works and how can i configure it? I tried to play around with it, it gave me a connection parameter of "\\simon\pipe\sql\query" which I don't really know what it means..:)

• Simon, the Alias works just as it sounds. Anytime you reference that server name, the Alias gives you a complete connection "path" to the that specific server. You could for instance, call the server Alias "NewYork", but the pointers could be set to a server in Miami accross a WAN or something.

The settings you're seeing are saying that you've chosen to force any connection referencing this particular server (Simon) to use Named Pipes. You'll notice that if you change the protocol, those parameters change to reflect the different protocols. You're just forcing a specific connection method when you use an Alias.

Later,

-Patrick

Patrick Purviance, MCDBA
  • I did suddenly have this problem with my Win2K workstation.

FIX: Connection to SQL Server Database Using IP Address Is Unusually Slow (Q300420)

Since I was already running SP 2 already on SQL 2000, I just tried the workaround, and added the SQL server IP address to my client hosts file. The timeout errors immediately stopped.

• Hosts might be faster in some cases regardless of the bug - but its a potential headache if the IP changes and no one remembers/knows to change it in hosts!

Andy

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/awarren/

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply