TCP/IP not listening on the default port

• Hello Everyone,

What could explain that a server does not listen on the 1433 port for TCP/IP incoming client requests?

I looked into the server network utility and the TCP/IP protocol is enabled (it should also listen on the 1433 port) but when I try to user TCP/IP on the client side... never able to connect.

Also using netstat -an, I can see that the server does not listen on the port 1433.

N.B. This server is on a laptop.

How can I solve this?

If someone has any tips, let me know.

Regards,

Carl

• Have you checked that there is not a firewall blocking access to 1433?

• Hello Chris,

its a good point... They've increased the security on all our laptops lately... maybe its related.

I'll look at it when I have the chance to get one. Until then,  they use Named Pipes instead.

Best regards,

Carl

• Hello Chris,

Our installation is on XP as stated above and the Windows Firewall is "ON".

If I try to add exceptions with the port 1433, it does not solve the problem.

I am confused...

Could it be the Windows Firewall that forbid SQL Server to listen on the port 1433?

Best regards,

Carl

• Is your install named?  ([servername]\instancename)?  If so- it would not, by default, listen on port 1433.  The listening port would dynamically assign a port on first start, or if the previously used port is being used by another application. 

Jason

• Hello Jason,

not this is a default instance not a named instance.

Regards,

Carl

• have you checked that Hide Server is not checked on server Network utility?

When you start the service, on the SQL Log Files, what Port number is Logged ?

* Noel

• Hello Noel,

Hide Server is not checked.

Thank's for that hint it could have been checked.

In the SQL log what Isee is this:

SQL Server listening on Shared Memory, Named Pipe.

Nothing related to TCP/ip even if it is slected in the server network utility.

So what's left...

Best regards,

Carl

• Carl,

Assuming that

• you have TCP/IP Enabled on your Sever Network utility
    • your server is not Hidden -- as you mentioned above
    • your sever  is binding to TCP/IP library  -- per your logs

You may have hit the following bug:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;890200

* Noel

• Hi Noel,

Something I should have mention previously is that the Edition of SQL Server 2000 is the Personnal one.

But I don't think this is the bug we experience here since I re-install the server on this laptop and the problem is there at the installation:

The machine does not listen on the 1433 port at all.

Maybe its another bug?

Regards,

Carl

• The solution is very simple: Install service pack 3. After having done that, the server listen on the TCP/IP port defined by us.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply