Talking baseball

• Dan H. (8/27/2010)

Oh, and no love for Fat Albert? 400 bombs is a pretty significant milestone =p

Did he reach 400? I haven't been paying attention!

Hey, I don't have to be the only one who posts news here! 😛

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
    Check out my blog at https://pianorayk.wordpress.com/

• There are kids getting the Tommy John without needing it to build strength, or as a preventative measure. Strasburg will be fine.

• And much love for Mr. Pujols. I'm surprised he took longer than A-rod, but I guess he didn't have as much outside help.

• We're coming into the home stretch. Anyone have any bold predictions for the next few weeks?

How about . . .

• The Rockies overtake both the Padres and Giants to win the NL West (yes, Steve, I'm trying to get your hopes up -- hey, their bats looked pretty darned good in that game we went to!)
    • The Braves nip the Phillies for the NL East
    • The White Sox overtake the Twins for the AL Central
    • Yankees in five over Texas in a very tight ALDS
    • Yankees in seven over the Rays in an equally-tight ALCS
    • Yankees in a four-game sweep for the World Championship (okay, now I'm dreaming! :-D)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

• The Rockies are doing something. They were down 1-0 for a lot of the game Sat night (I went with my son) and then they scored 2 to win, another walk-off for Giambi yesterday.

I think that the Braves will fall apart, Phillies in the division, and I'm guessing Cinci, and then Giants with the division, Rocks in the wild card.

On the other side, it's the Yankees. Maybe Texas will play tough, but I think it's the Yankees getting to the WS.

• Only care about the NL West, think the Giants are surging at the right time.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sacramento SQL Server users group - http://sac.sqlpass.org
    Follow me on Twitter - @SQLDCH
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, well...The Dude abides.
  • My Red's offense is almost dead and they struggled in extra innings to take 2 of 3 from the basement Pirates.... blew a 1-0 game in the 9th with two outs and two strikes Sunday.... Good thing the Cards are playing worse.

Giants are surging no doubt. The Rockies are on a roll too.

• Ray K (9/13/2010)

We're coming into the home stretch. Anyone have any bold predictions for the next few weeks?

How about . . .

• The Rockies overtake both the Padres and Giants to win the NL West (yes, Steve, I'm trying to get your hopes up -- hey, their bats looked pretty darned good in that game we went to!)
    • Yankees in a four-game sweep for the World Championship (okay, now I'm dreaming! :-D)

I'd say those Twins are looking pretty good right about now... 😀

• Predictions:

NL:

Rockies and Giants will battle out the Division Title to the very end... maybe the Padres get hot and make it even more interesting.

Reds get knocked off in first or second round of playoffs due to lack of offense and playing poorly against very good teams.... (yes, I am a Red's fan).

Phillies win the division AND are the NL Champions....

AL:

Yankees and Rays battle to the end for the Division Title

The Yankees and the Yankees and you can NEVER count them out.. although the Rays have been solid all year and have great starting pitching.

World Series....

Guess is Phillies against the Yankees..... edge goes to the Yankees.

Joey Votto: NL MVP..... NL MVP.... NL MVP!!!!!!

• Josh B (9/17/2010)

Ray K (9/13/2010)

We're coming into the home stretch. Anyone have any bold predictions for the next few weeks?

How about . . .

I'd say those Twins are looking pretty good right about now... 😀

After the Yanks' poor showing in those veryclosegames in Arlington and St. Petersburg, I'm not so sure about this anymore!

• Torre to retire as Dodgers manager; Mattingly will take over

• Just to take you away from ML, NL and whatever. Our season down here in South Africa is about to kick off in about 4 weeks time. Really looking forward to standing in the batter's box again after six months of relaxation. Downside, I've been appointed U14 coach at our club. Went to a Level 0 Coaching Clinic last week-end, but nevertheless I'm a bit lost as to what to do with these kids. Some of them played before, others come from "previously disadvanteged" communities (yeah, that means black townships), but no problem with the latter, they are adorable kids. I'm just a bit scared of my first training session with them all. Got an ex-junior (now +16) who has been playing for a few years as my as assistance coach to help me out, but still, I'm a bit nervous. Any ideas what to do and what to not do as a coach?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

• Jan Van der Eecken (9/18/2010)

Just to take you away from ML, NL and whatever. Our season down here in South Africa is about to kick off in about 4 weeks time. Really looking forward to standing in the batter's box again after six months of relaxation. Downside, I've been appointed U14 coach at our club. Went to a Level 0 Coaching Clinic last week-end, but nevertheless I'm a bit lost as to what to do with these kids. Some of them played before, others come from "previously disadvanteged" communities (yeah, that means black townships), but no problem with the latter, they are adorable kids. I'm just a bit scared of my first training session with them all. Got an ex-junior (now +16) who has been playing for a few years as my as assistance coach to help me out, but still, I'm a bit nervous. Any ideas what to do and what to not do as a coach?

Jan -- I'm actually a musician in my spare time, and I can relate; I spent some time teaching a marching band made up of disadvantaged kids.

Some of my suggestions would be:

• First and formost, relax and have fun!
    • Keep in mind that kids are people too. Treat them with respect.
    • Discipline them when necessary (hopefully, that'll be few and far-between)
    • Encourage them to ask questions.
    • Oh yeah, relax and have fun!
    • In some cases, they may know the answers and not know it; I find that drawing the answers out of them, rather than lecturing or forcing it down their throats, is much more effective.
    • Be patient with them!
    • You have expertise; see if you can use that to develop mutual respect.
    • Did I mention relax and have fun?

Hope this helps!

• Make it fun above all. I agree with Ray, and I think a mix of fundamentals and fun is best. Don't worry about seriousness, or anything fancy. I'd make sure they can catch, throw, and hit, but build drills that are fun and make them smile.

Be a little silly.

I'm glad our season is over for now. I need to work on my back for next year. too many chores and getting older make that swinging thing tough.

• Thanks Ray. One thing you forgot to mention was

- Relax and have fun!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing (Alexander Pope)
    In order for us to help you as efficiently as possible, please read this before posting (courtesy of Jeff Moden)[/url]

Viewing 15 posts - 301 through 315 (of 1,967 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply