Taking Transaction Log Backups with timestamp

• Hi there,

From what I've seen this question gets asked quite a bit, but I can't get a solution that works for me.

I am running a database using SQL Server Management Studio Express. There is no backup wizard. My HMI program can run short SQL scripts on a schedule. I want to take a daily backup of the database, say at midnite. And then I want to take transaction log backups every few hours.

I want each transaction log backup to have date AND timestamp included in the filename, but this does not seem easy. I can use this script:

DECLARE @fullpath nvarchar(255)

set @fullpath = 'c:\sql\logbak' + str(year(getdate())) +

str(month(getdate())) + str(day(getdate())) + '.trn'

BACKUP log cimplicity TO DISK = @fullpath WITH FORMAT, STATS

And it works, but it only has a datestamp. I need time included. It seems that many time data types and procedures aren't included or something on this instance of SQL.

Does anyone know how to get a timestamp included with filename? I just don't want to keep overwriting a file or keep growing a single file.

Thanks,

Scott Cheney

scheney@coritech.com

• scheney-1152259 (11/5/2009)

Hi there,

From what I've seen this question gets asked quite a bit, but I can't get a solution that works for me.

I am running a database using SQL Server Management Studio Express. There is no backup wizard. My HMI program can run short SQL scripts on a schedule. I want to take a daily backup of the database, say at midnite. And then I want to take transaction log backups every few hours.

I want each transaction log backup to have date AND timestamp included in the filename, but this does not seem easy. I can use this script:

DECLARE @fullpath nvarchar(255)

set @fullpath = 'c:\sql\logbak' + str(year(getdate())) +

str(month(getdate())) + str(day(getdate())) + '.trn'

BACKUP log cimplicity TO DISK = @fullpath WITH FORMAT, STATS

And it works, but it only has a datestamp. I need time included. It seems that many time data types and procedures aren't included or something on this instance of SQL.

Does anyone know how to get a timestamp included with filename? I just don't want to keep overwriting a file or keep growing a single file.

Thanks,

Scott Cheney

scheney@coritech.com

1) you can take incremental backups using NOINIT. This will not overwrite the "old" backup file, but will add at the end. Because you are allready using a date in your filename, that would come to a log file per physical date, containing multiple log backups. You can restore them using the file=n parameter in your backup statement.

2) in your script you only added the date part. Have a look at the CONVERT function and the datetime formats it can convert to. Pick the one you need.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Thanks for your fast reply.

That's the thing. I've tried to use/include: CONVERT (time, GETDATE()) and such, but SQL reports back that " 'time' is not a valid datatype."

• have a look at Books Online ( highlight your "convert" keyword and hit Shift+F1 if your query pane )

That will open your local copy of books online and show info on the selected keyword.

The online version is :

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187928%28SQL.90%29.aspx

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• use datepart function to get the time part of the date convert it to varchar and concatenate to you date string

thanks

Ramu

• The code below will give you a time and date stamp down to the second. It's not pretty but you could make a function out of it.

An example of the output is: 20091111193024

Hope this helps.

select left(replace(replace(replace(convert(char(19), getdate(), 120), '-', ''), ':', ''), ' ', ''), 14)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply