table variable and tempdb

• when I create a table variable will it create in tempdb or local db where I execute

Rajesh Kasturi

• i beleieve Tempdb this article may be of use to you:

http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Temporary+Tables/66720/

Gethyn Elliswww.gethynellis.com

• Both temp tables and table variables are created in TempDB.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Temp tables are created in TempDB Database and require more IO resources and locking. It maintains statistics and allows explicit indexing. We can use ‘into clause’ to create it. Table variable is a memory structure. If it holds more data than it can fit in memory, it is created in tempdb. Table variable does not maintain statistics. So, explicit indexing is not allowed. It requires less locking and logging resources because table variables have limited scope and are not part of the database, transaction rollbacks do not affect them. Derived tables are created in memory as table variable.

• John Doe (6/18/2009)

Temp tables are created in TempDB Database and require more IO resources and locking. Table variable is a memory structure. If it holds more data than it can fit in memory, it is created in tempdb.

Both temp tables and table variables are created in TempDB when they are created/declared. They are both kept in memory as much as possible and they have the same rule for spilling to disk if there's memory pressure.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Also keep in mind performance of Table Variables versus Temp Tables. Use the appropriate one for your need and size of data that will be used. Test first before implementing either one in production.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Hi All,

Thanks for the help...

Rajesh Kasturi

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply