Table Size

• Hi,

I am having a database with databse size og 1.5 GB and when i check the all table size by using sp_spaceused it hardly gives 570MB how is it possible. Or is there any other process to find the size of objects or is there anything else which get calculated in over all size of database.

• Don't forget that if you run sp_spaceused on the database, it shows you the size of the whole database, including the log file and free space. It could be that 1GB of your database is in the log file for instance, and therefore wouldn't show up in table size calculations.

To find out file sizes and free space I use the following query (I can't remember where I got it):

SELECT a.Name AS LogicalName, RTRIM(a.Filename) AS PhysicalName,

CONVERT(DECIMAL(12,2), ROUND(a.Size/128.000, 2)) AS FileSizeMB,

CONVERT(DECIMAL(12,2), ROUND(FILEPROPERTY(a.Name,'SpaceUsed')/128.000, 2)) AS SpaceUsedMB,

CONVERT(DECIMAL(12,2), ROUND((a.Size-FILEPROPERTY(a.Name,'SpaceUsed'))/128.000,2)) AS FreeSpaceMB,

CONVERT(DECIMAL(4,2), ROUND(100 * (CONVERT(DECIMAL(12,3), FILEPROPERTY(a.Name,'SpaceUsed'))/CONVERT(DECIMAL(12,3), a.Size)), 2)) AS SpaceUsedPercent,

CONVERT(DECIMAL(4,2), ROUND(100 * (1 - CONVERT(DECIMAL(12,3), FILEPROPERTY(a.Name,'SpaceUsed'))/CONVERT(DECIMAL(12,3), a.Size)), 2)) AS FreeSpacePercent

FROM dbo.sysfiles a

Hope that helps

Duncan

• If you're interested, I also have a few queries up on my site that can help with finding the the size and free space.

http://jasonbrimhall.info/2010/05/05/sql-2005-tablespace/

As Duncan said, you probably have some free space in a data file or it is being calculated from the log file.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply