T-sql performance tuning help Please! thanks

• Done. thanks

• This topic was modified 3 years, 4 months ago by  zocial411.
  • Instead of a cursor to walk the code, what about simply using the SELECT statement with an INSERT statement to add the code to the table variable? Better still, why not just a SELECT statement and no table variable at all?

Also, total side note, when a procedure gets compiled, all statements within it get compiled together. When you have a lot of IF/THEN or CASE operations, this becomes an issue because, even if a given statement won't be executed, it will still be compiled. This can lead to problems if the statement gets compiled for NULL or 0 values when, in fact, when it gets called, it will have a value and will return rows. Where applicable, create additional procedures to move statements into a place where they will be compiled independently.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Grant ,

I can see now where Cursor is not needed rather  use a simple select statement with insert records into the table variable.

Grant, thank you. I will rewrite  the script and submit to the developer that asked me help.

• Best of luck on it. You should see a radical improvement in speed.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• zocial411 wrote:

Grant ,

I can see now where Cursor is not needed rather  use a simple select statement with insert records into the table variable.

Grant, thank you. I will rewrite  the script and submit to the developer that asked me help.

Further on Grant's fine comments, I suggest a simplification by splitting the procedure into three different procedures, multi-purpose code tends to be a second class citizen in the eyes of the query optimizer;-)

😎

• Eirikur Eiriksson wrote:

zocial411 wrote:

Grant ,

Further on Grant's fine comments, I suggest a simplification by splitting the procedure into three different procedures, multi-purpose code tends to be a second class citizen in the eyes of the query optimizer;-)

😎

Eirikur is dead on accurate as usual. Primary reason is what I talked about above with how the compile process happens.

• Hi Grant and Eirikur,

I'm so glad to have your inputs and also I think that Procedure can use spiting.   also a good input 'multi-purpose code tends to be a second class citizen in the eyes of the query optimizer;-)'

thanks.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply