system tables- backupfile,backupmediafamily etc.

• How do you tidy 'DELETE' entries from the backup system tables. I have manually deleted several physical backup files but as there is no correlation between the physical backup file and system tables a row still remains for each backup I have deleted. As a result of this, when I come to do a restore I am offered all sorts of backups that no longer exist ! Microsoft recommend that you do not use DELETE on any system table ! So how do I get around this ? Any help will be most appreciated

• try creating an empty file with the same name and extension that your backup file, and then execute the sp_dropdevice stored procedure to delete in a clean way the backups files.

• I have a mixture of logical and physical backup devices, so I assume sp_dropdevice will only work on logical devices. Also, I have used sp_dropdevice 'device_name','delfile' which does delete the entry from system table baackupfile and deletes the physical file but there is still an entry in backupmediafamily system table which I assume the restore process uses. So therefore I am still presented with an option to restore a file which doesn't exist. How do I tidy all of the relevant related system tables ?

Edited by - campbellm on 03/21/2003 05:18:07 AM

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply