System Table Indexes

• Morning,

I am looking into using DBREINDEX to try and improve performance on a server. I have run SHOWCONTIG and run DBREINDEX on a number of Application Tables, with an improvement.

My question revolves around the system tables, which have indexes e.g. syscolumns, sysindexes, sysobjects. Is there any problem in also running DBREINEX against these system tables? Is there anything that I should worry about?

Thank you in advance of all contributions.

Regards

Colin

• Colin

From Books Online (DBCC DBREINDEX topic):

DBCC DBREINDEX is not supported for use on system tables

John

• John,

Thanks. It looks like these Indexes are best left alone.

Colin

• I agree that these indexes are best left alone, but one thing is that they can be rebuilt, as I have done this before.

I wouldn't recommend that you do this in a non-emergency situation, as it requires a fair bit of downtime and having to put the db on emergency mode as well.

Let me know what you would like to do.

Cheers

Kindest Regards,

John Burchel (Trainee Developer)

• John,

As it is a non emergency situation I have decided to take the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" apprroach.

However, it would be good to know what actions you would take. Many thanks.

Colin

• Hi John,

As I am new to the DBA Administration, Kindly share the valuable information, that you would take, so that I can also make note of it.

If any situation araises, it would be helpfull.

Thanks in advance..

Regards

Senthil

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply