Synchronize LAN and Internet SQL 2K database

• I am a software developer working on VB6,SQL 2K,Win2K,ASP. I have developed a VB6\SQL 2K application to be deployed on LAN. The same application is also developed in ASP\SQL 2K to be deployed on the Internet. I want to keep the LAN SQL2K database and the SQL 2K database on the internet synchronized. The LAN PC on which the SQL 2K is installed is running Win 2K and is connected to the internet. I know the IP address of the SQL 2K on the internet. I know I have to use DTS but I don't know how to go about it.

Please advice in detail by giving the steps in order(e.g Step 1,Step 2,etc). Eagerly waiting for your suggestions.

• Keeping the two databases synchronized require the use of Replication. Look at transaction replication with immediate updating subscriber. You could find the how-to in BOL. Cheers.

Joseph

• Also Have a look at the following from microsoft about replication through a firewall

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;164667

I have just had to go through the same process here .

Can I suggest that if you are not familiar with replication that you get two desktops and configure those for replication on your internal network.

This will help you by giving you a reference point if you have problems with the Firewall issues as it is easy to get muddled up when trying to configure the replication.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply