Symptoms Memory Problems

• what are the symptoms of Memory Problems in sql server

• Queries would run slowly.

• Memory pressure won't necessarily cause slow queries.

Chapter 4: https://www.simple-talk.com/books/sql-books/troubleshooting-sql-server-a-guide-for-the-accidental-dba/

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Chapter 4, Page #149

If SQL Server is forced to operate with an insufficient amount of memory, it will be able

to store fewer data pages in the buffer pool. As a result, higher physical I/O is needed to

bring data pages from disk into the buffer pool as they are requested, and performance

will degrade.

• I said it won't necessarily cause slow queries, not that it won't ever cause slow queries, and you really don't need to quote from a book I helped write.

Slow queries can be caused by many things, not just memory pressure, so you can't use that to tell if there's memory pressure as the memory could be fine and there could be another cause (lack of indexes for example).

I have seen a case where the server was under memory pressure, memory was added and performance degraded severely.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply