Summing group field

• I'm currently having issues writing a table report that shows the sum of the value in a group header in an enclosing group's header.

I'm trying to display a table that shows time spent assisting customers at different companies, with the company's budget, and budget for all companies in each region.

This is what I'm aiming at

This is what I have currently (note the Region budget line is wrong - it should sum the company budget header, but is summing it for each customer)

Here's the SQL query

select

client_customer.hours

, client_customer.name

, client_company.name as com_name

, client_company.budget

, region.name

from

client_customer

inner join client_company

on client_customer.company_id = client_company.company_id

inner join region

on client_company.region_id = region.region_id

Here's the SQL result

hours | name | com_name | budget | region

12 | J. Doe | Company 1 | 5000 | Region 1

43.5 | S. Neil | Company 1 | 5000 | Region 1

12 | A. Smith | Company 2 | 2000 | Region 1

4 | C. Rodgers | Company 2 | 2000 | Region 1

54 | K. Smith | Company 2 | 2000 | Region 1

I'm creating the table currently by using =First(Fields!budget.value) in the company header, then =Sum(Fields!budget.value) in the region header.

I'm sure the issue is that it's summing the budget for each company as many times as customers at each company, is there a best practice way of summing a group header that I could use above? I don't know what to put in the region budget field (I've thought of =Sum(First(Fields!budget.value)) and =Sum(ReportItems!CompanyHeaderText.Value))

It would be great to get advice on how to properly go about the above.

• I think this should be okay...

=Sum(First(Fields!budget.value, "CompanyLevelGroupName"))

• Thanks for this Daniel - it did exactly what I was after! I'll save this blog post for later 🙂

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply