subscription to file share but also notification email

• We are trying to limit large emails sent via email through subscriptions and will be changing the subscription to go to the file share instead of email, however, the user still wants to be notified that the report has run and is waiting patiently for them in that location - is there a way to do this without creating a dummy report and having 1 subscription for the correct report to go to the file share and another dummy report have a subscription to email the user and let them know it has run?  That could still be a problem if the original report has an error.....  looking for some type of notification email within reporting services.  Dont' want to use notification services as it appears those will no longer be a solution for 2008.

• why don't you just email the link to the file?

• do you mean manually send an email?  I am looking to set up an automated email notification once the report has been executed and successfully been placed in the file share location...

• In the subscription you can use the checkbox "Include link"

Render format, web archive ?

Kind regards

J

JV

• still not quite right - the email still includes the report, we don't want the report in the email.... too big... 

We want the file to run every tuesday morning and deposit itself in a folder on the shared network and then send an email to the group of users to notify them the report is available and in that location.  We are currently creating a dummy report that returns no data just a text box with the hardcoded value of the folder where the file is running.  Then, creating a subscription to run this and send the email link of the report with just the text box 5 minutes after the other report is run.  Not very good solution.  Need help 🙂

• No help here- just wanted to add that I've had the same problem and have not found a suitable solution.  I even tried editing the job that is responsible for the file share subscription but could never get it to work.  I'd be very interested in hearing a good solution to this problem.

• If you're brave, you can check the subscription status in the ReportServer database and email when the subscription fires. You could poll the table from a SQL Agent job.

If you're even braver, the best solution would be to code something up in .Net to render the report via the Web Service. Once you have the byte stream, you can write it to a file somewhere and email the user.

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Karen Lennon (9/24/2007)

No help here- just wanted to add that I've had the same problem and have not found a suitable solution.  I even tried editing the job that is responsible for the file share subscription but could never get it to work.  I'd be very interested in hearing a good solution to this problem.

Are you using Sql Server 2000 or 2005?  You are on the right track in editing the job.  You should be able to add a step to the job that will send an email to the user.  You can create an SP that you call or just write a SQL statement in the job step.  You can use Database Mail in SQL Server 2005 or if in 2000 you can use XP SMTP Sendmail which eliminates the need for Outlook on your SQL Server.

• I am using 2005 against a 2000 db. I'll try again and post my results.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply