Structure of SQL Server

• Hi every one,

Thanks for your great support and contribution to this forum.

My client want me to check the structure of the SQL Server. So where should i start . Does any one have any idea on this. i am new to all these topics.

• I'm afraid you will need to be a little more specific about what you want to know, as its a very broad subject and can cover a multitude of areas from Data Storage Internals, the Query plan Internals.

• m.rajesh.uk (1/30/2013)

My client want me to check the structure of the SQL Server.

Pretty generic question. Here two things can be done.

First and preferred, Ask him what exactly he needs ?

Second which need some extra efforts and detailed study,

Represent him high level database architecture.

What are databases . what kind of data they contain?

better show him any logical flow of data.

And

HOw you arwe managin the data backup , maintenance plan (non-app specific) how the data has been distributed ? , recovery plan. securities etc etc

but better go with first one

-------Bhuvnesh----------
    I work only to learn Sql Server...though my company pays me for getting their stuff done;-)

• Do you mean validate the data structure of a SQL Server database?

Or do you mean validate the layout of a SQL Server installation?

Or do you mean evaluate SQL Server as a general tool in order to determine if it means some business need or other?

Specifics are needed.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Want to validate the data structure of a SQL Server database

Thank you

• Ah, well then, you need to have the business requirements that the database is supposed to meet in order to evaluate if it's going to meet them. Then you need to understand the rules of normalization to ensure that the database has been designed in an efficient manner. Ensure that every table (with exceptions, but exceptions should be exceptional) has a clustered index on the most common data access path (usually, but not limited to, the primary key). Make sure that you have unique constraints (alternate keys) in place if you're using artificial keys. Ensure that foriegn keys are in place to enforce the referential integrity.

That's it in a nutshell. It's a lot more work than it sounds like though.

----------------------------------------------------The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood... Theodore RooseveltThe Scary DBAAuthor of: SQL Server 2017 Query Performance Tuning, 5th Edition and SQL Server Execution Plans, 3rd EditionProduct Evangelist for Red Gate Software

• Thanks for your advice.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply