strings....stuck

• How can I pull just "dbname.dbo.db_item_tbl" out of the column2 string?

column 1

BA_INVENTORY_LOCATION_PROC

column2

(select UPPER(en_item_sdesc) from dbname.dbo.db_item_tbl d_item_tbl where db_item_tbl.db_item_key=a.xx_item_key),

I am so not good with finding & pulling things from a string....

thx

Jude

• What you wrote isn't clear. Is that what is exactly stored in the column?

It's not clear what you are trying to do?

• Yes, column2 is pulled from another table, but I only want the part of the string that contains dbname.dbo.xx_xxx_tbl no matter what position is exists in the string.

Hope this makes sense....

• Also, this is just a big text column & sometimes starts with an Inner Join dbname.dbo.xx_xxx_tbl & I don't want any other characters before or after, I just want to strip out "dbname.dbo.xx_xxx_tbl" exactly.

• Have you tried charindex()?

Like:

select

charindex( col2, 'dbname.dbo.'),

substring( col2, charindex( col2, 'dbname.dbo'), 30)

from myTable

It would help if you explained what you are trying to do and what the table looks like? Are you trying to figure out what tables are in this string? If so, you might have multiple tables. What do you do there?

• Actually this suggestion;

"select

substring( col2, charindex( col2, 'dbname.dbo'), 30)

from myTable

"

is Great!!!

thx so much!

• Actually, you can simplify it if you're looking for table names in the local database.

You can do a join using "LIKE" to sys.tables.

select *

from MyTable

inner join sys.tables as Tbls

on MyTable.Col2 LIKE '%' + Tbls.name + '%'

That's often easier than substring pattern matching, if it's applicable.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Unfortunately it's not in the same database, I am retreiving cross database references & it's actually going pretty good with you help.

Can I bother you one more time (I hope)

Pulling apart the string leaves things on the end that I don't want, I have substringed the database name, schema name and table name (l have my data in another table from using a while loop & sp_helptext )

I need to strip everything off my shortened column after the characters 'tbl'.

For instance; adbname.dbo.xx_xxxx_tbl a, i want to retrieve out the xx_xxxx_tbl into a new column.

And I would need to have another column for the names that are a bit longer such as xx_xxxxxxxxx_tbl.

Ideas ?

thx!!!!

• What you want to do is use charindex to find the other pattern. This is all pattern matching, so you can do this:

select

charindex( col2, '_tbl', charindex( col2, 'dbname.dbo.')),

substring( col2, charindex( col2, 'dbname.dbo'), charindex( col2, '_tbl', charindex( col2, 'dbname.dbo.')))

from myTable

If you don't understand, post back, but try to figure it out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply