Strange Behavior In Insert

• Friends,

One of my colleagues sent me the following code:

DECLARE @Tmp TABLE (RecID INT, Number INT)

INSERT INTO @Tmp (RecID, Number) VALUES (1, 1)

INSERT INTO @Tmp (RecID, Number) VALUES (2, 188)

INSERT INTO @Tmp (RecID, Number) VALUES (3, 165)

INSERT INTO @Tmp (RecID, Number) VALUES (4, 121)

INSERT INTO @Tmp (RecID, Number) VALUES (5, 1655)

DECLARE @TMP2 TABLE (Data VARCHAR(3))

INSERT INTO @TMP2 (Data)

SELECT MAX(Number)

FROM @Tmp

SELECT * FROM @TMP2

The output is '*'.

Though it may sound simple, I need to find out why. Please come up with your inputs.

Regards

Chandan

• Expected behaviour of SQL

Read the following article http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187928.aspx, especially the Truncating and Rounding Results section

Inserting a 4 digit INT into a 3 character length string, returns * detailing result length too short to display

• You are the man! Thanks Anthony:-)

Chandan

• chandan_jha18 (1/29/2013)

Though it may sound simple, I need to find out why. Please come up with your inputs.

Take away the unnecessary tables and use variables in the exact same way:

DECLARE @Data VARCHAR(3)

SET @Data = 1655

SELECT @Data

It should be clear now.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• ChrisM@Work (1/29/2013)

chandan_jha18 (1/29/2013)

DECLARE @Data VARCHAR(3)

SET @Data = 1655

SELECT @Data

It should be clear now.

Correct. It produced the same. so after going through the document, * means that size is too small to display the result when doing a conversion fron integer to char.

• chandan_jha18 (1/29/2013)

ChrisM@Work (1/29/2013)

chandan_jha18 (1/29/2013)

DECLARE @Data VARCHAR(3)

SET @Data = 1655

SELECT @Data

It should be clear now.

Correct. It produced the same. so after going through the document, * means that size is too small to display store the result when doing a conversion fron integer to char.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply