exec sp_tables

how can I do this in SQL Server 2005?

(Instead this can be achieved by querying

INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES and INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS VIEW

Actually I need

exec sp_tables_ex 'Access_linked'

and

exec sp_columns_ex 'Access_linked'

so that I can get the list of tables, columns and column data types to a table

Thanks

Thanks,
    Santhosh

Human Knowledge Belongs To The World !!

• This should put you on the right track...

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#Worksheets') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #Worksheets

CREATE TABLE #Worksheets (TABLE_CAT varchar(30), TABLE_SCHEM VARCHAR(30), TABLE_NAME VARCHAR(50), TABLE_TYPE VARCHAR(20), REMARKS VARCHAR(30))

INSERT INTO #Worksheets

EXEC sp_tables_ex @ServerName

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Understanding and using APPLY, (I) and (II) Paul White
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Chris Morris (2/12/2009)

This should put you on the right track...

IF OBJECT_ID('tempdb..#Worksheets') IS NOT NULL

DROP TABLE #Worksheets

CREATE TABLE #Worksheets (TABLE_CAT varchar(30), TABLE_SCHEM VARCHAR(30), TABLE_NAME VARCHAR(50), TABLE_TYPE VARCHAR(20), REMARKS VARCHAR(30))

INSERT INTO #Worksheets

EXEC sp_tables_ex @ServerName

Yes I got it...

For these kind of things we initially need to know how many columns the result set will be having right?

Thanks

Thanks,
    Santhosh

• Santhosh (2/12/2009)

Yes I got it...

For these kind of things we initially need to know how many columns the result set will be having right?

Thanks

Yes, and you can easily do that by examining the sproc.

“Write the query the simplest way. If through testing it becomes clear that the performance is inadequate, consider alternative query forms.” - Gail Shaw

For fast, accurate and documented assistance in answering your questions, please read this article.
    Hidden RBAR: Triangular Joins / The "Numbers" or "Tally" Table: What it is and how it replaces a loop Jeff Moden

• Hi

In Linked Server(Access database)

Can we know which columns are having ntext data type?

(when i went through the sproc sp_columns_ex i came to know that

MEMO data type of Access will be internally converted to ntext instead of nvarchar(max) which we are not able to compare with other table)

Thanks

Thanks,
    Santhosh

• Santhosh (2/12/2009)

Hi

In Linked Server(Access database)

Can we know which columns are having ntext data type?

(when i went through the sproc sp_columns_ex i came to know that

MEMO data type of Access will be internally converted to ntext instead of nvarchar(max) which we are not able to compare with other table)

Thanks

You've answered your own question here Santosh. In any case, you'd import into a staging table, right? Then you would move the data into your destination table with columns and datatypes of your choosing...

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply