Storing files in VLDBs, filegroups and maintenance

• BobAtDBS (3/25/2008)

Please, let's not start the religious war on whether blobs even belong in the database at all - that's not what this thread is about. For several reasons, in our app, we've already made that choice and it's working very well. That was also the case with the original poster.

I'm just looking to enhance my knowledge (after a lot of reading and only a few year's experience) with other folk's opinions and experience with multiple files on a single array.

Thanks,

First, you learn a lot in war 😉

Second, it's not a religious war... well, unless you want it to be. :hehe:

Third, it's exactly what this thread is all about... where to store stuff.

Fourth, if you want to enhance your knowledge, you sometimes have to study why some folks go to war.:P

Steve pretty much hit the nail on the head... I can't find the MS reference for that but I remember that those numbers are pretty darned close to what was recommended... heh... by the ultimate "war machine".

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• ehm stupid question: 1mb is the max file size I presume? If so does it mean the total size of all files doesn't matter (1mb or 1TB same stuff?).

Also, I too was always against storing files in the DB before coming across some funky use cases (remember the first versions of the MS Terraserver?) and more importantly before discussing with NT admins who were struggling to manage all the issues that arise when you put only a link to the file in the DB: how do you backup files and the DB at the same time to keep them in synch, you obviously have double maintenance there. How do you manage access rights etc etc. I know this is a concern for a lot of admins and I suppose that is why MS is introducing the FILESTREAM thingie in 2008 which sounds real nice by the way...

• I've never had a problem with the backups staying in synch... that's what the "Archive" bit is for. But, yes, I can see where that could cause problems for some.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

Viewing 3 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply