STOREPROC VERY SLOW

• I HAVE A STOREPROC WHICH IS RUNNING FINE IN DEVELOPMENT ENV BUT WHEN I M USING THE SAME STORE PROC IN QA (OTHER SQL ENVIRONMENT) IT IS NOT EXECUTING (NOT GIVING RESULTS) I WAITED TILL 32 HRS AND STILL IT IS RUNNING.

WHEN I CHECKED AT EXECUTION PLAN IT IS HANGING AT CLUSTERED INDEX SEEK

ANY IDEAS?

• Please don't post in all caps. It's the equivalent of shouting at us.

Please post table definitions, index definitions and execution plan, as per http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Did you check for blocking?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • i apolozige for writing in CAPS

i got the following error long time back

Msg 701, Level 17, State 65, Procedure aaa_proc, Line 1249

There is insufficient system memory to run this query.

but i am not sure why other store procs are running on the same server

• Can you please send the sproc and tables definition ? Also the number of records per table.

• You should check any blocking issues. Check the fragmentation of tables involved as well.

• GilaMonster (5/5/2011)

Please post table definitions, index definitions and execution plan, as per http://qa.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/

Gail Shaw
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

• GilaMonster (5/6/2011)

GilaMonster (5/5/2011)

+100

• unfortunaltely i cant post the sql but i can give what i am doing

i created temp tables for looping the databases and for each database there are set of select statements

i created set of temp tables and cursors

using cursor i fetch the data and inserted into temp tables for each quarter

at the end i used the select statement for the data

the same storeproc is working perfectly in another sql server instance but i have problem in the qa instance.

one thing strange i observed is that the temp tables are not dropped in the tempdatabases when i am running the store proc but they are dropped in other instance.

Thanks for all ur help

• Can't help without the plan.

We can do without the code / data but not without the plan.

Use google to figure out how to replace the cursor with set based code.

Good luck.

• pardeshkumar (5/6/2011)

unfortunaltely i cant post the sql but i can give what i am doing

i created temp tables for looping the databases and for each database there are set of select statements

i created set of temp tables and cursors

using cursor i fetch the data and inserted into temp tables for each quarter

at the end i used the select statement for the data

the same storeproc is working perfectly in another sql server instance but i have problem in the qa instance.

Without seeing the actual code and plan there's little we can do to help.

Get rid of the cursors, use set-based code, tune the poorly performing queries.

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-1/

http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/performance/finding-the-causes-of-poor-performance-in-sql-server,-part-2/

Gail Shaw

• By the way there must be 50 000 hours of tuning expertise between Gail and I... which you are promptly refusing to use.

So again, good luck. Because you'll need it without the skills we bring to the table.

• Hi

Have you had any luck tuning your query?

Like they said before, start with replacing the cursors with set statements. But then replace the temp tables with table variables.

How big are your development tables compared to your production environment?

Please let us know if you had any progress with this. It would be interesting to know how many issues you have sorted out.

• terrykzncs (5/9/2011)

Hi

Have you had any luck tuning your query?

Like they said before, start with replacing the cursors with set statements. But then replace the temp tables with table variables.

How big are your development tables compared to your production environment?

Please let us know if you had any progress with this. It would be interesting to know how many issues you have sorted out.

Ah... becareful now. Automatically changing from Temp Tables to Table Variables as a matter of rote is actually some pretty bad advice. It's definitely a case of "It Depends". And, just in case someone is thinking it... Table Variables are NOT memory-only structures and Temp Tables are NOT disk-only structures.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.
    "Change is inevitable... change for the better is not".

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)
    Intro to Tally Tables and Functions

• terrykzncs (5/9/2011)

In general I recommend the other way around. Replace table variables with temp tables and then test. Table variables can have unpleasant effects at larger row counts because of the lack of statistics and the effect it has on the execution plan

Gail Shaw

• GilaMonster (5/9/2011)

terrykzncs (5/9/2011)

In general I recommend the other way around. Replace table variables with temp tables and then test. Table variables can have unpleasant effects at larger row counts because of the lack of statistics and the effect it has on the execution plan

+1000, and it isn't just large numbers of rows. A SINGLE value in a table variable can cause a BAD PLAN that doesn't happen when you use a temp table.

Best,
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server Consultant
    SQL MVP 2007-2012
    TheSQLGuru on googles mail service

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply