Stored Procedure that runs hourly to assign Day (timezone) values in database

• I want to write a Stored Procedure that runs hourly to assign Day values in database,

whereas the days should be captured or calculated from the GMT as basis (thats where the server is).

--CalculatedReferenceTable----

TodaysDayGMT: August 5th 2008: Tuesday =2

TodaysDayPMT: August 4th 2008: Monday =1

TodaysDay...: August 6th 2008: Wednesday =3

----RecordsTable----

TimeZone:GMT

Cycle: Every Wednesay =3

SpecialDay: August 5th 2008

TimeZone:PMT

Cycle: Every Friday =5

SpecialDay:NULL

Stored procedure should also hourly check all records

for TodaysDay... and Cycle, and if it matches with today's day, send an email.

Is that a good way for an weekly email reminder ? If so,

did you come accross some sql code that does that for me?

Secondly for special dates another procedure should just check

for the specialdateinserted, timezone and todaysdate in order to

send out an email for this sepcial (on-off) day.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

• I think I must be missing the point. Why would you run something for a weekly notification, but run it every hour?

There is probably a good reason to do this, but I must be missing something, since I don't see it.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• try this and use a case statement

SELECT DATENAME(dw, GETDATE())

edit:

you may want to have another column to precalulate the day

so like

table(reminderid int, dateadded datetime, dayofweek tiny)

then you

insert table

select , GETDATE(), case DATENAME(dw, GETDATE()) when 'sunday' then 0 when 'monday' then 1 ... end

then you SP just looks at the current day and send out a reminder

declare @day tiny

set @day = case DATENAME(dw, GETDATE()) when 'sunday' then 0 when 'monday' then 1 ... end

sendreminder() for each row in (select reminderid from table where dayofweek = @day)

P.S. like my pseudo code?

• Hi Guys,

thanks a lot.

@GSquared, well I think you have to run it hourly to get some precision into it.

Because at 11:35pm it might be the 3rd of October in London but

its already the 4th of october in Genever. If I run the query only daily at let's say

3pm London time the result for the other time zones might be very unprecise.

@SSC Journeyman.

Great, thanks, that helped a lot !

• metalray (10/2/2008)

Hi Guys,

thanks a lot.

@GSquared, well I think you have to run it hourly to get some precision into it.

Because at 11:35pm it might be the 3rd of October in London but

its already the 4th of october in Genever. If I run the query only daily at let's say

3pm London time the result for the other time zones might be very unprecise.

@SSC Journeyman.

Great, thanks, that helped a lot !

actually, because it's based on GMT, it doesn't matter since it just looks that the universal time. I think.....?

• Hi SSC Journeyman,

if one just uses GMT its fine but what I have done now to get GMT into PMT and others is the following:

UPDATE dbo.TimeZoneAndDateReference SET CurrentDate=DATEADD(hh,4.5,GetDate()) WHERE TimeZone='GMT+04:30'

UPDATE dbo.TimeZoneAndDateReference SET CurrentDate=DATEADD(hh,9,GetDate()) WHERE TimeZone='GMT+09:30'

UPDATE dbo.TimeZoneAndDateReference SET CurrentDate=DATEADD(hh,-6,GetDate()) WHERE TimeZone='GMT-06:00'

etc... for all the other timezones

Getdate() will be GMT Greenwhich time (since thats where the server is)

• I got mixed up in my thoughts. I was picturing someone selecting a day on a calendar. If you had a calendar on the client side and you transfer everything as GMT from cleint to sever, then it's already translated for you and you don't have to do a thing, but if you just pick a day and not a date, then there's no timezone assciated with it. Personnaly, I think all time being communicated/stored/calculated should always be in universal time/gtm, and not on local time zones.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply